Oly. Penn. Crescent Lake shore fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by die_ziege, Aug 2, 2002.

1. die_ziege New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I may be headed over to the penninsula for a couple of days and am wondering if it is possible and/or worth my time to try fly fishing Crescent Lake from the shore (I don't have any floating equipment)... If it's worth trying, does anyone know of any good access spots?

Thanks,
    Ian
  2. saltchuck New Member

seattle, washington, usa.
    I've fished it several times on the way to or from Sekiu/Neah Bay. Had success REALLY early or late. I stopped in several locations. Mostly where trees were overhung out onto the lake. At some of these places, there were moths (I thought they were caddis at first but someone said they were probably spruce moths) fluttering around between the tree and the surface of the water. Once in a while they would fall in and shortly afterwards there would be a huge splash. I tied on large stimulators and elk hair caddis and skittered them across the surface to try and imitate the moths. Hooked several large cutts and rainbows up to 5 pounds. Didn't get any takes at all in locations that had no moths. I would recommend stopping if you see a hatch of those moths but don't waste your time if there isn't any activity.
  3. die_ziege New Member

Thanks for the info... I was thinking of trying some Wooley Buggers and muddlers; streamer type flies... But hey, I love the caddis and stimulators, the olive stimulator has been killing for me lately on the local rivers/streams...
  4. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I would have to agree with the previous post even though I have only fished Crescent Lake my self once. I have been told by many that to fish this lake you must go really deep for them unless there are inscects blowing in numbers from the shore. If I was going to fish this lake from shore I myself would have caddis for the evening in case moths are present and ant patterns for around the trees durring the day. I have seen both of these getting blow into the lake and the fish taking them hard. I did not have a fly rod with me that time there. Otherwise reports on this lake say you need to fish deep. At least this is what I have been told by the locals while I was trying to fish it from shore a few years ago. With that being said I still feel that you might be able to catch some smaller ones along the shore, but my try there did not prove it. Since I am thinking about going through there again either in September or next year some time. I would love to see post back on this board if you do give it a try. The next time there I will have either my kayak or my boat to get out from the shore a bit.
  5. saltchuck New Member

seattle, washington, usa.
    I got the same information about going deep from the locals but I fished it at before daybreak and after sunset, usually in the dark or with hardly any light. I asked a ranger at the Lake Crescent lodge about the moth phenomenon a few years back after I first encountered it. He said that most of the locals know about it and will fish the shorelines before the sun comes up and after it goes down. Then they will move out and troll deep (really deep - as in 70+ feet deep) as the sun comes up.
  6. die_ziege New Member

Made it over to the Penninsula, but the rain/timing prevented me from giving Crescent Lake a try. The only fishing we did was at the Quillayute (sp) near La Push. No luck with a Mickey Finn, a few takes on an olive wooly bugger, and they flipped for the olive stimulator... Unfortunately they were all ranging from 6" - 1" little smolt... Especially irritating because there were obviously bigger fish in there, some one had skinned a couple and left the skins on the bank, and they were respectable fish... Of course they seemed to have been caught on nightcrawlers, so whaddaya gonna do?
    Ian