Olympia to Aberdeen

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Andrew H, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Andrew H

Andrew H New Member

Home Page:
    Work has sent me all over the place the past few weeks. Last weekend was Yakima. I stopped by Red's and they showed me the basics of nymphing and off I went. Before this weekend, the only fish I caught on the fly were salmon and flounders. 12 nice rainbows on Saturday and a couple on Sunday. This was my first time fishing fresh water and I had a blast. I picked up a fly rod for the first time this year and have only spent my time fishing the salt from N. Seattle to Everett.

I almost never get down to Olympia or Aberdeen and I will have all day Saturday (except 6am - 8am for work) free. I'm looking for some advice on waters that are fun to fish without the need for a float tube/boat/pontoon. I'm not looking for a specific bend in a river or anything like that. For Yakima, this was pretty easy but I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the options in the area and have a feeling if I just go to the Chehalis or Satsop I'm going to be combat fishing and dodging gear all day. I may just drive around the Sound and target SRC's for the day but it was a blast learning nymphing and I'd love to learn something new.

Any pointers on bodies of water in the area that are open and decent for a beginner? Not looking for any "honey holes" or secret spots. Just want to do some fishing, try out a new area, and enjoy a relaxing day. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to comment here or if I am breaking a cardinal sin by even asking.

Here is one my first rainbows from Yakima for your enjoyment. [​IMG]

Kyle Smith likes this.
  2. brklynELKchaser

brklynELKchaser New Member

I am from Montesano and I am certainly jealous of you right now. I go to college in Idaho and I miss being home in the fall to fish that area. Obviously right now the name of game is going to be salmon fishing on the Satsop, Wynooche, Chehalis etc. and it sounds like you are more interested in trout fishing. I personally have had very little success fishing for trout in that area this time of year. Mainly because I pretty much switch over to salmon/steelhead mode in the fall. Also make sure you check the regs because many streams close for trout as of Oct. 31. I have had the best success for SRCs in middle Wynooche mostly swinging soft hackle wet flies and that sort of thing. And the Satsop too. Just look for log jams and undercut banks and you will find cutties.

3. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Andrew-

PM sent.

4. Andrew H

Andrew H New Member

Home Page:
    Thanks gentlemen! Honestly, I'm up for anything. Trout, Salmon, or Steelhead. Trout, I hardly know what I'm doing but I managed on the Yakima last weekend. And I saw all the closures on Oct 31st. Thanks for the heads up! I wouldn't mind learning Steelhead but have no clue what I'm doing. The Yakima was great this weekend. Fishing pressure was low and I could walk a stretch of river without bumping elbows with another. I thoroughly enjoy the beach fishing now that August/September are through.

Thanks for the advice. I think I have a better idea of where I'll be headed once I wrap up business.

5. I camped out at ocean shores a few months ago and I fished the humtupalips

6. Andrew H

Andrew H New Member

Home Page:
    Thanks everybody! I got a couple options for Saturday and I should be able to spend more time on the water than in the car driving around! Great community. Appreciate all the help!