Olympic Peninsula Rivers

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by FF_Fanatic, Oct 2, 2012.

1. FF_Fanatic

FF_Fanatic New Member

I just got my first drift boat, therefore I am considering myself as a beginner when it comes to rowing a drift boat. Took it few times to Yakima Canyon and didn't have any problems getting around and avoiding obstacles.
    Which rivers would you recommend on peninsula for a beginner steal head enthusiastic? Based on my research my initial opinion is Hoh river.
    Thoughts/Suggestions?

BTW the boat is Clacka FFB.

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I'm no expert (though I'm sure they will chime in), but after floating each I would say the Hoh or the Bogie would be manageable by someone with a modicum of skill.

3. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Media:
    Both the Lower Hoh or the lower Bogie below 101 are very manageable for someone that has been on the sticks a few times and is familiar with how their boat handles. Both rivers above 101 have some hairy boulder sections and are subject to sweepers or blockages that sometimes require portages. I would float the upper sections with someone who is experienced with the rivers before you decide take a drift boat down them.

Definitely count out the Sol Duc and the Callawah!

4. FF_Fanatic

FF_Fanatic New Member

Thanks for the info.

I heard some scary stuff about Callawah... That is why I am asking and trying to find out what are the places that I shouldn't have business being at until I get comfortable and experienced with my new drift boat.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    All of those rivers up there can change after high water, so what was any easy float might be different the next time you float it. Folks claim the Bogie is easy from 101 down, but it seems every year it eats a boat or two. I saw a boat get pinned up there last year.
    You asked for suggestions. If you have it in your budget, have you considered taking a trip with someone like Jim Kerr?
    Not only will you get to see a section of river before attempting it yourself, you'll learn how to fish it. Then you can run it the next day in your own boat.

6. sroffe

sroffe Member

SF is right on the money. If you've never been down any of the rivers it is good to go with some one the first time. Even if you have been down any of those rivers before, a guide, with the idea of showing you the ropes, may still be money well spent.

Have fun.

7. Tee Jay

Tee Jay Fernhopper

A departed friend owned property on the Sol Duc and floated it a lot. Life-long Peninsula resident. He told a story about floating it one day and as they came around the corner there was a new sweeper blocking the whole river. They just left their gear and stepped up on the sweeper as the boat was forced under. Took all day to walk out. Wrong side of the river. Went back a bit later carrying gear and retrieved the boat and removed the sweeper. The point about the OlyPen rivers is that no matter how well you know them, they change.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

1 spot below Icebox on the Bogachiel can eat you up if you don't know what you're doing.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've seen so many who have no idea how to row come spinning down icebox, slamming into the outside bank. It's almost comical if not for the danger factor.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Is the icebox full and at low flows is there time to grab a cold one?

11. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Yeah Ed, gotta be careful hitting the ice box too hard on the river. You can come out spinning and hit the bank. That is never a good thing.

12. FF_Fanatic

FF_Fanatic New Member

Thank you guys for advice. I am definitely considering getting out with one of local guides to get better feeling for what I can expect.
    I saw Jim Kerr's name mentioned above, who are other guides that are worthwhile considering?

13. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    If you want to glean knowledge I would go with Jim. If you want to catch fish Jim or Brazda (and his crew) would be great