olympic steelhead school

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flydreamin, Mar 23, 2004.

1. flydreamin

flydreamin New Member

Home Page:
    Hello fellow flingers
    Quick question, I'm highly considering going on a fly fishing guided school on the 18th of April and was wondering if it's worth the price of admission. Details, School: Dennis Dickson Flyfishing Steelhead Guides(http://www.flyfishsteelhead.com), River: Floating the Bogachial, Included: everything, Cost: 150 for one day. Thanks for any responses ahead of time.
    P.S. I personally have little experiance flyfishing in general and have never caught a steelhead on fly.

He spoke from above and said to us "What you catch you shall release!".:dunno

2. Bogie

Bogie New Member

To me it sounds like it's worth the price.I've been steelheading for years and would love to attend something like this.Unfortunately I can't do it on that date.

3. Andy

Andy Workin in a sweet mullet

Media:
    A haiku:

I want to go but
    I am broke as a joke
    very poor I am

:beer2

I have always wanted to attend one of his schools or take a trip with one of the many fine guides around here, but see the above haiku for details

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I did one of his Skykomish schools last winter and it was a great introduction to the river. By the end of the day you will have seen a lot of great water and have a good idea of how to swing a fly effectively anywhere in all types of water conditions. If you are inclined, go for it.

Rod:thumb

5. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

Media:
    It depends on how much money you want to spend. For $300 bucks, you can hire Dennis (or another able steelhead guide) as a guide for the day and get him one-on-one (or two-to-one if you get someone else to go in with you). I don't think you will learn anything in Dennis's school that he won't teach you on a guided trip. To the contrary, on a regular guided trip, you will have more personalized attention and will spend more time fishing than you are likely to do in the school. If $150 is your spending cap, Dennis's school is probably an excellent option. Personally, I'd find a buddy and split the cost of a regular guided trip with Dennis. Either way, you're on the right track by starting with a guide. You'll take years off of the learning curve over trying to figure it out on your own.

6. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

I agree with Bright Rivers. I attended both OP schools this past weekend and highly recommend the walk in class and the float class. The OP schools are really more about learning how to present a fly, hooking and playing a fish, identifying good water, using the "yancy" line, being introduced to new float, etc, compared to actually focusing on catching fish. You do fish, but not as much as you would on a guided trip. Another good thing about the school is that you get instruction from Mike and Jonathan as well as Dennis. So you end up spending some time with all 3 and they each can offer varying view-points on your technique, offer pointers, etc.

But if you really want to land a steelhead and still get some limited instruction, go on a guided trip with a friend that is looking to do the same. Let Dennis know in advance that you are looking for some instruction and I'm sure he would be happy to accommodate you. Joe