Olympus Stylus Tough - not so tough

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by martyg, Jul 5, 2009.

1. So a few months ago I purchased a Stylus Tough 8000 to have a readily available, waterproof, point & shoot. After one trip down Hell's Canyon, with the camera in a PFD pocket and not being submerged, water infiltrated it.

I sent it back under warranty and will update its status when I know more.

2. Sorry to hear of your problem Marty. Good luck, I hope it works out to your satisfaction. Do let us know how it turns out.

3. thanks for the report

4. Sorry indeed. Keep us posted.

5. Mine rocks....BUT.....I've only had it a month.
    U/W shots on Rock Ck...I've dropped it 3 times, a buddy dropped it once.
    Some dings, but still works.
    And i really like the panorama/stitch feature.
    So far so good.

6. Marty, I have a Stylus 725SW I bought three years ago from Costco. It's bounced off the boat bottoms in La Paz several times, it's been in the swimming pool many times submerged for up to 2 hours at a pop (including yesterday), and I just dropped it on the concrete last week, and it keeps working.

I love the durability and the waterproofness of the camera. Video is good, the picture quality is good but not great (compared to my Canon point and shoot), but the ability to use it in any conditions make it my most used camera.

Maybe I'm blessed, but I think you may have a lemon. Or, maybe your PFD pocket had some water retained in it and over several days (presuming that's the length of your Hell's Canyon trip) infiltration occurred . . . ?

7. Just got it back and it was 100% covered. Olympus indicated that they replace the front cover. Don't know what that is or where the failure occurred, but hats off to Olympus for standing behind their product.

8. And about a 2 week turn-around. Cool!