Omak Lake Rendevous

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by triploidjunkie, Dec 20, 2010.

1. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I've been wondering if anyone one on here would be interested in starting a annual, un-official get-together in the spring on Omak Lake. This fishery blows my mind every time I go there. It's perfect when the west-side and eastside free-stone rivers are blown out and steelheading is slow. It's open year-round and fishes steady every time I've visited(which I'm coming up with more and more excuses do to lately). The only cutthroat lake that compares fishing wise is Pyramid Lake in Nevada, but Omak Lake looks more like Lake Tahoe.
    The only down-side is alcohol and firearms(even with a concealed permit) are strictly prohibited at/near the lake, and that includes the roads to and from. So a b-bque could happen, but libations would have to wait until Omak. Let me know what you think.:thumb:

2. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    Could be interested Mr. Junkie. How do you fish it? You using ladders like at Pyramid?:clown:
    Also, when specifically were you thinking?

3. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

I'd be up for it depending on dates and etc. I'll dust off my lariat and shake a few loops out...let the hawg wrangling begin!

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    Yes, but why is booze not allowed. I dont understand that. What kind of enforcement is there?

5. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    also, is there free camping?

6. triploidjunkie

Media:
    I was thinking March sometime. Before dryfalls and other early openers kick start and after most steelhead rivers are too high. The warmer the better, opening doors to more surface activity. And yes, ladders work beautifully at Omak because LCTs(for the most part) like to constantly cruise the shorelines where a higher vantage point ups your ante. I bring my pontoon, but often just end up roaming the endless beaches looking for riser's. It's the only place I know where it's entirely conceivable to catch a double digit cuttie on a dry fly.[It has it's own small cult of fly-fishers who may want to lynch me, but out of all the times I've been there, I've only seen one other boat on this massive lake. Under-utilized is understating.

7. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Sounds great but I'd vote for doing it after the Methow closes.

Dustin, the lake is on the Colville Confederated Tribes' Reservation so the no drinking rule is their rule. As for Enforcement, hopefully none will be needed as we will be guests on their land and are very fortunate to have the opportunity to fish this amazing lake. There is also no camping at the lake that time of year. Here are the Tribal regulations for Omak: (note: a Tribal Lic. is required to fish it)

Omak Lake: Year Around Season - LAHONTAN CUTTHROAT TROUT
    - Daily Catch Limit – Three (3) fish not more than one (1) over eighteen (18) inches. During the spawning season a “Catch and Release Fishing” regulation is in effect from March 1 through May 31. - only lures or flies with a single barbless hook may be used (artificial lures and flies only, no bait fishing). The north embayment is closed to boating and fishing from March 1 through May 31. All islands will be closed to access from March 1 through May 31. Shoreline access from Baines Beach south is closed to nontribal members all year. The south end of Omak Lake is open to non-tribal members for boating and fishing who access the south end of the lake by boat from Mission, Cowpie, or Nicholson (Beer Can) beach launch sites. Fishing is from dawn to dark daily. No person shall possess alcohol or firearms. Anglers are required to furnish creel census information. If a creel clerk is not present the information should be left in the creel boxes located at Cowpie Beach, Nicholson (Beer Can) Beach, and Mission Bay. This information is vital in our management efforts.

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Strange you should mention this just now. I have recently been checking with another member of the board on some of the other reservation lakes. There is some dandy brook trout fishing there as well. I'm thinking I will buy an annual license for the reservation this year-$35 I believe-and fish Omak, Buffalo and McGinnis and perhaps try the lower Sanpoil on my trip to Long Lake.

I would be up for a gathering over there. It would help to meet some people that knew the lake and could help shorten the learning curve. A campsite off of the reservation would probably be best where we could cook, knock back an ale or two, spend the night and strut around with our Glock's if we want. You don't want to break any laws on the reservation-they have enforcement, not pattycakes.

I'm in

Ive

9. triploidjunkie

Media:
    Freestone is right about the camping at Omak Lake. You could camp at Coyote Creek campground(10 bucks I think) on Rufus Woods about 20 minutes one direction, or Omak is 15 minutes the other direction. I don't know why the no drinking/firearms rule at this lake other to keep rowdy crowds that assemble on some of the beaches in the summer from killing each other. Hords of locals descend on the lake to cool off when it gets real hot.

10. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I would love to fish Omak Lake as it's been on my list and I haven't gotten there. count me in! Rick

11. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Never fished the lake and I'd like to give it a try and meet a bunch of folks.

12. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Why is it better than Lenore, other than the crowds? I've fished Omak and yeah, it was cool and I want to do it again, but I don't feel the fishing was any better than Lenore for the big Cuts.

Maybe this will help you not get lynched. Lenore is better with less restrictions, stay away from Omak.

Ira..

13. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    With that, I'd be up for giving it a go again and hanging out. How about the third weekend in March.

Ira..

14. triploidjunkie

Media:
    I started to list the reasons I like Omak better, but they became too many. Third weekend in March is what I was thinking too. It's a week before Dry Falls opens and Lenore will be crowded the first few weekends after opening. Plus that's usually when I start seeing mayflies start to pop up and dry-fly fishing gets effective from shore.

15. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Third weekend it is. I have it penciled in and I'm asking my wife to work her schedule so she'll have the weekend off. That way she can take care of the boy if he decides at an early age of 4 that he doesn't want to join dad for a long weekend.

Rod if you are paying attention, you gonna be there? Marty?

Ira..

16. Islander

Islander Steve

I might be up for an Omak trip, depending on the timing. I hear they have those "Okanogan Carp" in that lake.
    The third weekend in March is also the Hoh Down.....and they allow guns and booze.

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Tough to double book the fishing/social events of the Hoh Down and Omak at the same or close to same time. If there is a gap between the two, or if I am in the doghouse...why not!

18. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Ed,
    Omak's got a better shot of SUNSHINE and FISH.
    just saying.

19. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    This is a Stillwater section as well. Although I did miss the Hoh Down date. Either way I imagine there are enough Eastsiders that don't want to make the trip and Stillwater guys that are not big on the whole river steelhead thing, that a double book will actually be a benifit versus a hindurance. Although if mumbles could split his personality and be at both we would all either be in trouble or that much better off.

Ira..

20. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Oh Ira, that would be horrible. I'm the reason anti-cloning legislation must exist. The Hoh is closer and as such would likely get my time, but eventually I want to explore in that area to the east.