on fast wide rivers what is the best shooting lines

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by USMC VET, Mar 15, 2013.

1. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

I have noticed a lot of different postings on running/shooting lines

As a long time single-hand rod flyfisher mending line is really important to get the best drag free drift.. I have always used weight forward floating fly line with backing So my question is will Reo ridge floating line provide the same result on my 8 wt switch rod. I have been reading some postings that monofilament and other materials are used, it seems to me this would sink and be difficult to mend quickly in fast water.. I hope my question is not a newbe dumb question.. just trying to set up my rod correctly for best casting and fishing .. thank you for your advice. Ron

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    You should be fine with floating running line from any of the fly line companies. You might also look into something like a Wulff Ambush or Rio Outbound. They have short shooting heads with factory integrated running line.

3. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Pat
    thanks for the advice, I have nearly no feeling in my fingertips so trying to hold on to, strip in etc. thin shooting line such as mono just causes a lot of problems.. take care..

4. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    Ha Ha, I tried the mono running line ONE time. It was while fishing for salmon, big mistake. I wont do that one again, lessen learned.

5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:

Wow, that's not a good thing for a fly fisherman.

I'm looking into a two handed rod myself. I tried Pat Lat's 4wt Echo SR a few weeks ago. I have no idea how to do the spey type cast, but overhead casting worked well and it seemed like it would be a great tool for many situations. I noticed that Echo recommends a lighter line for single hand casting. Something to think about as you're buying lines.

6. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Hi Pat

For myself personally, I have no desire to single hand cast a switch rod... I have two good quality good ole fashioned fly rods for that.. My waters here in Pacific Co, on the Willapa are narrow and brushy. but there are good places to wade that will enable me to use the shorter switch rod casting spey rod techniques.. It is just something new to explore here on the waters in my neck of the woods.. I am physically not able to do all the false overhead casting or several roll cast to get line out like I use to

take care Ron

7. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

So what did you end up using in place of the mono... and how has it worked for you.. Ron

8. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I use rio running line, didn't burn my finger like mono.

9. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Derek Day on this forum was kind enough to set me up with some red colored 30lb line called Amnesia, it is not a floating line and pretty much is a coated thin line of some sort that he uses on the Cowlitz river, but it does stay nice and straight and limber.. no coiling . .. I have not had a chance to use it yet to see how hard it would be to strip in and with a fish on I think reeling it in would be a must at lest for my 57 year old fingers. the line it is not expensive.. and also comes in a green color. I will give it a try and if I don't like it I will go to something a bit thicker.. possibly a floating shooting line. I also was given some Scientific Angler Shooting Line and will eventually put that on before anything else. Here is a link to the red stuff if you are interested. http://www.amazon.com/Amnesia-Leade...escent/dp/B00AALNP0G/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_1_YPNG

As a single hand fly fisher I am use to using a one piece fly line, like a weight forward floating sink tip.

10. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Also look into Teeny T series lines.

11. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Ron, you might consider the Rio Outbound Short or the Wulff Ambush lines for either your single hand rods, or a switch rod if you have one. Go up two line weights for a switch rod. They shoot line very well and can carry heavy flies and/or 10 foot poly tips (leaders with different sink rates). Another benefit is they can be single hand spey cast when your butt is in the brush. Very similar in function to the Skagit line spey system. The Rio has a 30' head and a longer rear taper, versus the 20' head on the Ambush, and would likely mend better.

12. USMC VET

USMC VET Member