One fly for big cutts

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by D3Smartie, Sep 26, 2008.

1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

So i spotted a big cutthroat today but could not get him to eat. I threw almost everything in my boxes at him but was only rewarded with several follows.
    So i was wondering what i didnt have and might have caught him on...
    The short list of flies i tried...
    olive clouser
    pink clouser
    chartruese clouser
    conehead squid
    olive baitfish tube
    pink baitfish tube
    natural colored popper
    ginger colored popper

so what would you guys have gone after him with?

2. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

I've had most of my fish in the last few weeks on white poppers, shock and awes sand lance style, and a flashy baitfish pattern I just put up in my gallery. Pink somewhere on the fly seemed to be the ticket most days. You would think one of the patterns you tried would have worked though. Wiley cutthroats.

Steven

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Jim Dandy or an Olive Wooley Bugger

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

nightcrawler

5. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

I actually had a small perch in the boat that had been in the mouth of a previous fish and i was tempted to drift that over him but didnt succumb to the temptation.

I also fished a jim dandy which i didnt include on my first list.
    I was thinking a good sculpin pattern should have been tried.

6. Ryan Francis

Ryan Francis HUMILITY IS NOT THINKING LESS OF ME, BUT THINKING

7. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Caught all my big fish on chum babys!

8. I say clousers in pink!

Ringlee and I were out a couple weeks ago and he had a little bullhead on the line that he was reeling in and probably the biggest cutthroat we have ever seen came up and slashed at it. Needless to say, we were throwing the biggest, nastiest flies we could find for the rest of the night.

9. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Definitely a sculpin pattern worked along the bottom. I've caught some very nice cutthroat on these patterns when the standard flies produced only smaller fish on the same beach.

10. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Me too...yours! Thanks!:thumb:

Jc:D

11. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

I am thinking about tying a Sex Dungeon that was developed on the Madison by Kerry Galloup. That thing looks dirty!

12. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

D3 have you thought about changing the silhouette of your flies a bit?

After experiencing the same occassional lockjaw everybody else seems to have had, I started experimenting with more realistic profiles and colors in my baitfish patterns and going to my waiting period box a whole lot earlier than expected.

For example I tried some epoxied mylar tubing to mimic a sandlance profile and it has done well. I also tried to make my other baitfish patterns look as close to the real thing in size, profile and color as possible by using combinations of angel hair and flouro fiber type materials.

Like you, I have had several outings this year where a ginger colored popper has been the only thing I could get fish to touch so I can't say I have any of the answers. I do know however, by using the same old things I won't change my outcome so I continue to experiment with new stuff on slow days and have had some pleasant suprises in doing so.

Good luck to you.

13. Well, D3, glad to know there's at least one wily fish on your end of the pond. Did you try a Knudsen Spyder? (Just like a Knudson Spider, but with more attitude.)

Sterling

14. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

While I do not spend a lot of time on the salt chasing cutts I do spend a fair amount of time chasing them in local rivers. In the rivers it is pretty common to find the fish responding to fishing pressure which in turn forces the angler to adapt. I suspect that with this increase in interest on the salt you be seeing the start of the same phenomenon.

Lightly fished cutts are pretty niave and very user friendly. As a result they repond very aggressively to "exaggerated flies" - those flies the present larger than life actions/profiles. However with fishing pressure they seem to come to realize that such "critters" sting and demand changes. I think that bigfun4me is on the right track.

As the fish become more demanding I have found that paying more attention to the profile and presentation of the flies that I fish becomes more important. I tend to change from what I termed "exaggerated flies" and presentations (while such flies are kick in the pants to fish - saving them for change of pace situations) and opt for the flies with more realistic profiles and present them in a more subtle fashion.

A freshwater example of what I'm talking about - a couple of weeks ago I stumbled up a group cutts up on top feeding on BWOs. The bugs were small (18s or so) however I opted to fish 14s (an "exaggerated" BWO). The cutts readily accepted the larger fly with aggressive head to tail rises (a wonderful hour of fishing). However I know that as the fall progresses and the fish see more dries I will have to do a better job of matching the hatch - in this case go smaller.

D3 -
    Back to your situation and "tricking" those difficult fish -
    I think going to something like a sculpin is an excellent suggestion. You might try a two fold approach - going with monster type and a more subtle one. I would use the "monster" for a change of pace and rely more on the sutble one. In the stuble camp something like a rolled muddler can be excellent. If the fish are seeing lots of flies like clousers and other weighted patterns I definitely would fish unwieghted flies, using a sinking line if you want to provide a deeper presentation. I would fish the flies a little less aggressively with shorter strips, little twitches and longer pauses.

This situation just illustrates some of the intrique we call cutthroat fishing - the more we get into the game of chasing cutts the more we find there is to the game.

Tight lines
    Curt

15. marcopolo

marcopolo Member

A black bead-head wholly bugger.

16. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

got him! :thumb:
    [​IMG]

17. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

My GOD, what a freakin pig!!!!!!

18. jpugs

jpugs New Member

...and the 'one' fly?

19. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Well done, that's a very special fish. Looks like you've discovered an estuary producing a super breed of cutthroat! Keep it secret.

20. OUTSTANDING!