One less tweaker to worry about

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Jul 10, 2010.

1. I've got a bit of a different take on the situation and it's not going to make me popular I'm afraid. You say there is a bad tweaker problem on the Sky? Why do you suppose they're there? Because they like the fresh air? They like the peace and quiet? Communing with nature? Nope! It's because we drag three times more gear than we need up there in the middle of nowhere in $40,000 rigs with 22" lookatme wheels. What the hell do ya think is gonna happen! It used to be that even at the "trendiest" places, in the parking lot you would see old Chevy pick-ups, International Scouts, carry-alls and Ford Broncos. Now it's Range Rovers, Lexus, Escalades and Volvos.

My primary fishing car is an 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon. View attachment 32619 It's Got 333,000 hard fishing miles on it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Montana tomorrow. I tow my drift boat with an 84 Toyota 4WD pick-up. It's got 276,000 equally hard fishing miles on it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it either. Would I be hot and sweaty by the time I got there? Yep! Would my ass be sore? Yep! But would I have to worry about break ins with my clear windows and empty gear bags in the back when I'm parked next to the BMW X5 with the black smoked windows? Nope!

Now I'll be the first to admit that there may be a tiny bit of a sour grapes thing going on with my attitude. But come on! A little common sense people! If there wasn't so much easy pickin's they'd go somewhere else.

Cheers..................Todd

2. People who break into, and steal from innocent people to support a drug habit , are bad people, period !
    They may later have the ability to be rehabilitated and that's great, but at that time theyve blown it , and it is there responsibility 100 percent- It's not the systems fault , it's not unfortunate, blaugh blaugh blaugh, it's the fault of the individual who made the decision to affect innocent people based on there selfish desires, needs, whatever- Our society is so fuking full of people who put the blame on everything and everybody except the perpetrator who did the deed. If we could ever get back to the old school reasoning of an eye for an eye, and consequences for our actions we'd clean some of this bullshit up- Each individual has potential, but when he or she makes the wrong decision that puts themselves and others in harms way, they forfeit there rights at that time- They're subject to the consequences that they have asked for-
    They make the choice to become a looser and hinderence to society, rather than nutt'n up like the rest of us, and going to work and contributing in a positive way to society-
    The whole breaking and entering deal could turn so bad so quickly, and for some asshole to put others in potential harms way or in the situation on weather or not to need to defend themselves with deadly force is pathetic at least- Iv'e had a friend or two that has had drug issues, and though I loved them to death, they were responsible for there situation, they made a choice. Had something bad happened to them, it would have been terrible, but they and they alone would have been responsible for the deal, not anyone else or any other entity. It's way past time we all start looking in the mirror, taking responsibility for our screw ups, and being accountable-
    I'll stop there before I pound my keyboard through table-

3. Todd: Those tweakers wouldn't hesitate to strip parts off that car if you parked in the wrong spot

4. I'm thinking if a couple of you guys got together and took turns hang'n out in the parking lot with a couple of shotguns filled with rock salt, the problem might slowly go away...

5. Saw two more busted on the side of 2 in Sultan tonight. Had two big ass generators stuffed into a little 4 door car.

6. Look at the theft rate in the Middle-East, amolst zip. Who wants to support their lazy lyfstles, or bad habits (diseases to some) when death, or losing your hand(s) is the punishment. We used to hang thieves here the USA until our vaginas took over deciding punishments. Theft, Murder and rape are the three crimes that hurt people the most, but have some of the lightest sentences. Shit I could walk outside right now and just randomly shoot someone for no reason, claim the voices made me do it...and be out of prison in about eight or so years with "good behavior" and/or a plea deal (which could get me even less time). Or rape a child and blame it on having a bad childhood...punishment would be comfortable prison time away from General (so they wouldn't tear my ass apart) with fellows just like me; tell some bleeding-heart shrink what she wants to hear and I'm out in a couple of years in a halfway house doing it again.

I like this idea, but i would probably just skip the rock salt and use 00Buck. Eventually I would run out of tweaker thieves and the problem would be solved.

7. Evan, first of all I think you did good. Really good. :thumb: And another big thumbs up to the officer who responded so quickly. But I think you missed my point a bit maybe? If what we found at the parking areas were dusty beat up looking rigs like what we saw once upon a time. And if we didn't insist on hauling every piece of gear we own with us. There wouldn't be a tweaker within a hundred miles.

It's funny you should mention stripping parts. This past summer I rebuilt the tongue and winch stand on my boat trailer. I used an old antique winch that I inherited from my grandfather. Just because I think it's so cool. Made by Albina engine and machine works right in Portland. They made landing craft for the marines so I like to think it came from one of those. View attachment 32625 In reality it probably came from an anchor scow. They made those too and my grandfather was in dredging. (As was my father and me) That's over 5 pounds of solid brass. Kinda stupid I know. My only hope is that they don't recognize it with its natural green patina.

Cheers.....................Todd

8. So what can we do? I'm not talking about getting every tweak to a rehab group, or putting a nother vehicle on my insurance plan. What can be done to help reduce/prevent this issue from ruining our days on the water?

9. You should have taken his Sawzall and cut out his remaining tooth, then turned his ass over to the Po Po.

10. I have a friend who is a trooper in the area (Sultan). Besides the access a cracker bar, and the Ben Howard rd, where else should I tell him to check on more frequently? Preventative patrols go a long way, and I KNOW for a fact he'd much rather bust tweekers than give tourists speeding tickets. I now theycan't be out there all the time, but just seeing them drive by makes a difference

11. I would be up for this idea. Hate thieves!

12. My old truck had about 220 thousand miles on it. I traded it in for a nice, shiney new one. Now, it is my fault that people are breaking into vehicles because I drive a nice truck to the river. Bullshit! The fault lies with the person committing the crime. Period!

13. Agreed Kerry. I shouldn't have to go buy a second vehicle (when I have no job, and nowhere to keep it) just because there are tweakers around. Us having to change our ways because of these shitbags is BS on every level.

While I do understand the logic of taking a more run down rig out to the river; it's just not an option for many of us. I do what I can to keep anything tempting left in the rig while I'm on the water, but that's about the best I can do. My only other option is to stay home, and that's definitely not going to happen.

14. Salmo for president!

15. The only thing an older truck means to a tweaker is "It's less likley to have an alarm installed".

I'm not changing what I drive for anyone. If someone wants to break into my ride, fine. I'm insured and frankly I wouldn't mind walking up on someone trying to break in to my ride. The cardiovascular exercise you get from punching someones nose until it comes out of the back of their head will save a trip to the gym.

16. Round 'em all up. Put them together in a drug free zone where they have to forage and work for their basic needs. Those that do make it through such a rehabilitation experience might be good for society. If there are hazards around you they should be mitigated or eliminated as best as possible. Killing them maybe an extreme approach, but it seems to have better resolution potential than booking and releasing them repeatedly so that they can continue to foster their self chosen illness at our expense. Escalation of crime is a statistically proven feature. A mild mannered tweaker committing crime will step it up for their next fix. Who is more a benefit to society, that poor sick tweaker who has an illness (again, one that is at least in part self selected) or the innocent victim(s) of their continued crime escalation? Let's not rush to kill them all and get blood on our hands. Let's put them all together and see how their own tweaked out micro chasm of society works it out. Salmo_g 2012!

17. Agreed Mumbles. I'm a big believer in natural selection, and it's going to catch up to us at some point. If we as a species keep stooping down to support the weakest links, we're all going to get screwed in the long run (or in the short run... guess we're already getting screwed).

18. POPCORN ANYONE?

19. As long as it's buttered and liberally sprinkled with garlic salt.......

Salmo for Attorney General.......!!!!

Jc

20. Reading all these responses is way more entertaining than anything I'll ever find between two hard covers! After over 31 years of chasing bad guys, I've seen a lot of really weird shit that are made into movies. And the 31 years had convinced me a long time ago that there will always be a segment of society who are essentially the "hyenas of the human population..." Common thieves are the ultimate opportunists. An abandoned rig whether it is new or old is too tempting to ignore for many. And the problem of car prowl has caused me to give up fishing many waters I use to frequent. Not worth the worry while fishing and not worth the hassle of repair when it happens...