one man boat reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Arthur Vakulchik, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

Media:
    It's ok then ed. If your going camping then don't bring it. I'd rather have you to pack clean underwear so you don't stink up the fair. :) have fun camping ed. And I'll go online and look at the WS.

Arthur

2. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Look at the Wilderness Access on line also. I absolutely love mine, as do several of my friends. Rated to Class 3. Advantage over the WM is price and a much more comfortable inflatable seat vs wood.

As far as rivers, I float the Cowlitz but big deal. I also take it to Montana and other rivers and all kinds of lakes.

The oars on a kick boat are not as long or powerful as those on a good pontoon, like my Dave Scadden Madison River--it's a man! But, I don't use it as much because the WA is just so quick and easy, unless I am heading for Oregon's Deschutes near Maupin and the Canyon. But, the WA would probably even handle those fine.

Probably a good time to mention there are several keys to running rivers; here are a few.

Know which rivers to run, and at what stage. And, which water to avoid, or at least walk around.

Always wear a PFD; inflatable is fine.

Know your, and your craft's, ability.

Always face your danger--meaning, when floating, keep a sharp eye downstream and face rocks, etc.

If you have an anchor, keep it secured so it cannot set itself when you are floating.

Have fun.

3. bustedout

bustedout Still fishing

I have a WM, but the WA looks to be about the same. I've outfitted my WM with an inflatable seat so comfort is not an issue, and I sit a little higher. All the safety notes made above are good information. I always use my pfd and know my river before I float it. That means I always drive by the intended float (if I can) or I talk to the guys in the local fly shop. If it's a bit dicey, I find another river. That said, I've found the WM to be a wonderful craft that is easy to transport, set up, and pack up. On the right water, it's a ton of fun, and I can get to places I could never reach while wading.