One Strip Pony SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by ScottP, Nov 9, 2013.

1. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +824 / 0
    [IMG]

Love Convertibles but with the soaring cost of floatant, I'm looking for alternate ways to keep them on top. A bit more foam should do it; using a single strip simplifies the process, not that this is a complicated fly.

hook - Dai Riki 320 #12
    thread - UTC 140 burnt orange
    tails - moose body hair
    body - 1mm foam orange
    wing - Congo Hair white
    legs - medium rubber brown
    hackle - brown/grizzly

mash barb, attach the thread and wrap back to point above barb

[IMG]

clean/stack a clump of moose hair, measure for length (little less than hook shank) and tie in

[IMG]

[IMG]

trim butts, smooth with thread wraps

[IMG]

take a wrap behind/under the tail, come around, up and over to help lock/tilt

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

take a strip of foam (hook gap width) and cut it in half lengthwise for about 2"

[IMG]

tie in the foam strip here at tail tie-in point

[IMG]

[IMG]

spread a little Super Glue

[IMG]

wrap narrow tag end forward, tie off at 60% mark

[IMG]

[IMG]

pull back strip over the body and tie down; wrap forward to hook eye

[IMG]

[IMG]

fold foam to create head; wrap back to 60% mark and trim

[IMG]

[IMG]

tie in legs

[IMG]

[IMG]

take a clump of Congo Hair and tie in

[IMG]

tie in hackle

[IMG]

wrap wing down, stop at 80%, pull wing back and make a few wraps to angle it up

[IMG]

wrap hackle forward, 4 wraps behind, 3 in front (dense is good); half hitch x 2 and SHHAN

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

trim legs; trim front wing a little longer than hackle, rear wing even with tail and you're done

[IMG]

dorsal

[IMG]

ventral

[IMG]

frontal

[IMG]

Regards,
    Scott
    nic, Mike Cline, Tacoma Red and 4 others like this.
  2. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
    I dig this pattern!! I've never heard of congo hair--I'll have to look into that.
  3. ScottP Active Member

Made of polypropylene - EP Fibers, Widow's Web, Congo Hair, etc. Big diff with CH is the price, about 1/3 of Puglisi's stuff; pretty good color selection, too. Only place I know that sells it is Flytyer's Dungeon. Be warned - one person operation and at certain times of the year, around the Holidays and late winter when everyone shifts to high gear in tying, he can get overwhelmed and orders have been known to arrive a bit late. Customer service is not his strong suit either; you can be assured he'll pretty much ignore your e-mails. When I place an order, I make sure it's nothing I'm going to need right away and then I'm rarely disappointed.

Regards,
    Scott
    tkww likes this.
  4. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
    Great info, Scott. Thanks!
  5. nic Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    Scott, i think this is a terrific topic and hope some of the excellent fly tyers on the site can come up with other creative ideas on how to make flies sit high on top of the water without floatant.

the first layer of foam is rotated around the hook.
    the second layer is flat on top of it.

do you think a flat layer is the most effective way of preventing the fly from titling to one side when on top of the water? and superior in this respect to a fly that has the foam solely rotated around the body?

cheers
  6. ScottP Active Member

Don't think it does anything to the attitude of the fly on the water, although it might. Just working under the premise that more is better, as long as it doesn't add too much bulk.

Regards,
    Scott
  7. Thom Collins Active Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    Haven't performed a scientific test but from trying foam based flies with and without rubber legs, the ones with legs ride much better in the water. Think it's a weight distribution thing. Found the same to be true for my non-foam Stimulators that were fishing on their sides most of the time before I started putting legs on them. Haven't had one keel over since.
    nic likes this.