One vs Xi3

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by johnnyd, Jan 10, 2013.

1. johnnyd

johnnyd Member

I've already got a 6 wt Xi3 and was thinking about getting the 697 One for beach fishing. I'm curious how the two rods compare as far as casting and sensitivity. Thanks.

2. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

3. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

Hi,

I have casted the 7wt 9 foot xi3 and one. I liked the one more for my casting style. However, everyone likes different things and casts different so I would encourage you to cast them yourself at one of the local shops. I also like the NRX rods. I have not casted the winstons or scotts as referenced in the above post. Anil at puget sound fly co 253 472 2420 would be a good resourse to maybe verbally highlight the differences between some of the rods and 9 foot versus 9'6", but again its best if you cast them and see what you prefer. (I like just the 9 foot rods as oposed to 9 foot 6 inch for beach fishing)

Hope this helps some.

Mike

4. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

Joe Pombrio likes this.
  5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I can't answer for the Winston, Echo, and Scott rods. For my own casting style, I found that the XIs are very nice. I have a 12 wt. and the first casts were near 80 ft. and I'm a hack, admittedly. They are strong and responsive. Gig Harbor Fly Shops test was interesting but I wouldn't say conclusive except in the minds of those particular guys. I'd say the best thing to do would be to try both the One and an Xi3 if you are wanting one of the two. Sage makes incredible rods as you already know. The warranty is great and the workmanship is superb. I'd weigh all of the factors before I dropped $800+ on another rod.

6. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

Why the eye roll?

7. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    The ONE is much more sensitive. The XI3 more powerful. Most people are finding the ONE to be a better combination of the two, but much of this is personal taste.
    Come cast them if you'd like.

8. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

9. Frenchie

Frenchie Member

I use a 9' 6 weight xi3 for a lot of my coho and beach fishing. I use a 10' 4 weight for my cutty fishing in the Fraser valley. I love the sensitivity of the ONE but I'll never give up the xi3. That rod can bend nicely on a 12" cutty, and kick a chums ass all in the same morning.

Jon