one would be an idiot to start tying

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by P.Dieter, Sep 24, 2011.

1. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Media:
    Home Page:
    IMHO it's idiocy to take up fly tying right now. "Bread and Butter" feather materials are prohibitive expensive to create something disposable. It won't last forever but getting the prices down to something reasonable will take a very long time (watch gas prices to get an understanding). Getting into it now would be ridiculously expensive. Those of us who have been in it for a while for the most part have materials to see through to the end of the fashion craze but jewelry is right on the heels of hair extensions so who knows.

I also think it's idiocy to encourage anyone to take up fly tying. All these newbies will come into it accustomed to fashion driven prices and will never demand reason to fully return, so they will be glad to support suppliers and shops that want to maintain the irrationally driven profit margin. You can't fight the free-market and the only influence the consumer has is demand, you have to dry up demand to control gouging. I suspect I'm done teaching beginning fly tying classes.

I also think it would be a very good idea to remind every gal walking around with feather adornments that those came from live birds, some pen raised some wild. Pointing out that these birds were killed for their fashion statement, much like minks and ermine. Maybe we can convince some of the fringe to return to throwing blood on fashionistas again.

2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Wheres P.E.T.A when you need them, they could help drive down the price of fly tying feathers

3. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I very much disagree with most of what you've said and I would encourage you to change your mind.

1. Let's face it, I'm not into flytying or flyfishing because its cheap. I fish and tie flies because I enjoy it. If I can't afford something, I won't do it. I think after you get bit by the fly tying bug you realize that you don't save money doing it vice just buying flies from a shop.

2. Fly tying is so much more than just dry fly hackle, or any hackle for that matter. Foam, deer hair, synthetics, etc...you could tie so much without even needing hackle.

3. I'm also under the opinion that if someone wants to be taught something then teach them. Just because jungle cock costs a lot didn't stop you before, why now with hackle. Teach the basics (tools, thread control, simplistic patterns, etc) and let them make up their own mind about hackle later on. Bringing new people into the tieing hobby not only helps you down the road later, it helps all of us and is a good segway into the sport.

Keep the faith, find suppliers that aren't selling to fashion, and continue to educate the new tiers.

E

4. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

I too disagree with much that you have said. The only thing the fashion industry has driven the price up on is genetic dry fly saddles. If you want to tie dry flies use a high quality neck hackle. For most, a good neck
    would be more useful than a saddle anyway. Necks cover a much larger range of hook sizes. Now if I tied drys commercially, the loss of saddles would be a problem. Is it cheaper to tie your own. Probably not.
    But there more to it than cost. Also since I tie my own, I have no problem casting into places that I might loose the fly but were large fish might live. So overall, only one of the many thing evolved in fly tying has been
    effected by fashion. Oh by the way, I sold my saddle on ebay and added many times its original worth into more fly fishing toys.

5. P.Dieter

Media:
    Home Page:
  6. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

I don't see any expensive materials either! Just some low quality cheap saddle and some chucker feathers. There has always been a use for feathers in the "fashion" industry.
    Were do you think the fly tier got many of the material a century ago? From the hat makers. The main reason the genetic saddles are getting so much money is that they are
    special birds. Not just any old rooster will produce them and it takes time to grow them.

7. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    I think fly fishing is much better when you know how to tie. I would guess most expert fisherman can tie or have tied, because it really helps with understaning fly fishing and why things work/how to fish them. You also then get to tailor your flys to your fishing. u can substitute materials.

8. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
  9. Camo Clad Warrior

Camo Clad Warrior Member

It also drives fly tiers to venture to new stores and be creative. Which in turn has fisherman buying product at stores other than our local fly shops.

10. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

You're kidding, right? Most of the flies I tie are done with synthetics. I have capes that I have used for years and they still have plenty of feathers to continue to tie for years. I tie because I enjoy it and when I fool a fish on one of my ties, I get a lot of satisfaction from it. I encourage anyone who wants to learn to do so. If we stop tying, the process will be lost over the years. Thank god we all don't panic. Consider the number of flies you tie on a price per basis and even at today's prices, it beats buying most of the junk that's out there.

11. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    fly jewelry in the form of earring has been around for 20+ years that i know of and its nothing new.

women have been adorning themselves with feathers since the 1800's and maybe even longer (sorry steven tyler, you werent the first one with feathers in your hair)

12. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Yup. The next generation of tyers is going to make guys like Popovics look uncreative. Epoxy and silicone? Childsplay!!!

13. jaybo41

jaybo41 Member

The current fashion trends pretty much suck for tyers, but it will be short lived. There are people that will gouge you for feathers, but they can still be had at prices we've come accustomed to. I was in my local fly shop a few days ago and saw plenty of hackle on the wall. Full capes, necks, 100's and all at normal prices. Lots of feathers too. I don't tie because it's cheaper, I tie because I enjoy the hell out of it. To each their own.

14. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Paul, I hear you. I got my hair cut last week and they had all kinds of feathers in the salon, from hackle to schlappen. I'm thinking next time I might bring my vise so I can tie when I'm sitting in the chair getting beautiful...

15. P.Dieter

Media:
    Home Page:
    fixed

16. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    You'd have to be an idiot to start fly fishing at all. Everyone knows those guys never catch anything.

17. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Thanks Paul, you made my day!

18. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

Probably 25% of what I know about steelhead fishin comes from sitting at the vise thinking about specific runs and how I want to handle them, and banging out 5 or 6 different patterns and then field testing them. How each material flows, sinks, stands out in certain water conditions, etc. really helps me to think about what it is I am trying to do. Cost doesn't really seem like much of a factor for me. Schlappen, dubbing, braid/flash, marabou are all pretty cheap. Yes, I don't bother with JC or antennae on my intruders, don't think the fish really care...

Plus its just much more of an experience to pluck a fly I made from that jaw....

19. Tejano

Tejano Member

One fly shop owner told me Las Vegas showgirls use more feathers than all the tiers combined. Not sure about that, most of the outfits seemed to run on the small side.

I look forward to when this fad runs it's course and I can find good materials at the second hand shops.

20. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

You must be right, I fish for steelhead and these days that has become an idiotic pastime !!!!