Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ooh Rah! Lets hear how everybody did

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  salt dog 
#1 ·
Me, my Blackfoot name is Hehoohuntspoorly. So you can all guess how I did. Can't wait to get out a kick up some birds. If anybody has a dog they should send me a pm and I could show off a nice little EW pheasant hole (if I can remember how to get there).
Sean

#2 ·
I was horn hunting this year, the deer i had scouted and saw 2 times before season never appeared during season....tag soup for me. my buddy shot a 3x4 mule deer that i passed on and had his 7 yr old son along with us so that was fun...the kid was excited as can be that his dad got a deer and my father in law got a whitetail doe with his senior tag. might try some wetside blacktail this weekend, never done it before. we'll see
ducks are flying.
p.s. i have a dog so feel free to show me where that pheasant honey hole is. does it matter if he doesn't hunt??

#3 ·
Josh Benjamin said:
....does it matter if he doesn't hunt??
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Birds have been spotty for me so far this year. A few ruffs, a few pheasant. Sasha flushed some quail way out of range...she doesn't hunt either. :clown:

I'm heading back over the hill for Thanksgiving, gonna chase some chukars and maybe some pheasant, we'll see.

We all should try and scare up some ducks...quack-quack-bang! :thumb:

#4 ·
All my time driving up and down the Snohomish drainage this year and didn't see a single grouse. I figured, well hell, I'll just not get a small game. First run up the sauk and they're everywhere. I thought that it must have been a rough winter for them over here. Man, I haven't hunted pheasant, dove, duck or chucker since I was a kid. I keep reading these threads, I'm gonna be like Private Pile in full metal jacket, all glassy eyed, cleaning my weapons, massaging the stock, oooohhh baby.

#5 ·
Roper said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Birds have been spotty for me so far this year. A few ruffs, a few pheasant. Sasha flushed some quail way out of range...she doesn't hunt either. :clown:

I'm heading back over the hill for Thanksgiving, gonna chase some chukars and maybe some pheasant, we'll see.

We all should try and scare up some ducks...quack-quack-bang! :thumb:
he either flushes them way out of range also, or runs into a barb-wire fence at full throttle and tears his shoulder open. i've been thinking about trying him again. he does know how to look for birds and find them and flush them, he just needs to hang closer. he's been going through electro-shock therapy;) lately and has become a lot better behaved and mindful of me. i don't even have to turn it on anymore, just put it on him and he knows whats up. he may get to run around with me over thanksgiving weekend. clearwater river or upland hunting...??? i think the hunting bug has temporarily taken over.

#8 ·
it was, worked great, till the 14" of snow came down and crashed it! We fixed it with a Aspen center pole but junked it when we left. We burnt around 4 cords this year. Drank 10X that many Bloody Marys. Saw only 8 elk. Shot 5 grouse ,all blues. And the partner got a bobcat. We broke two trucks, one generator and three chainsaws. OH, and one side window on a pickup. It was a trip full of problems but like I said the fires were good.,

#9 ·
I was lucky enough to tag an elk and a deer. I archery hunted for the first time ever this year and after nine days I finally poked a nice cow in the blue mountains. with my rifle, I dropped a nice 3x2 deep in the canyons of GMU 172. we had a great year, I am looking foward next year already. We are planning on Archery elk hunting in Idaho, as you can buy over the counter bull tags. The grouse were very few and far between this year!

#10 ·
Had a good year as far as fur is concerned, got a multi season tag. second deer b tag as well. 1 wht tail buck and a doe. passed up a small 4 point Elk, kinda got a regret about that. Only one i got close to all season.

haven't been out enough for birds, really wish that duck season was a month longer, or started a month later. so much to do in October between fin, fur and feathers.

#14 ·
05tacoma said:
We had a great week of deer hunting. Seven hunters and six deer. I can't wait until next year! :thumb:
nice. My hunting party consists of three and we have been so close to tagging out, but haven't done it yet. for three years now we have gone 2 for 3. After looking at the WDFW hunting reports my unit has had the lowest sucess rate in the state for several years! We love it up there though.

#15 ·
Had a real good season, allready pumped for next year. Got an achery doe on 12/26, helped 2 budies score deer and 1 elk during the BP season and stayed hot and heavy on some nice bulls during early archery, never did close the deal however. Here is a rather bloody documentation of a limit of hatchery fish(dry fly) plus extra,s from a day off in Oct

Attachments

#17 ·
Sorry, I don't get on the board as much as I'd like to, but I'll add my two cents. I am am upland hunter and target chukar, mostly, but I have a new young English setter who is still in training and I've been concentrating on getting him into covey birds that hold well. That means valley quail for me, so I've been chasing quail at lower elevations all season, with the exception of some fantastic chukar shooting I got into a couple of weeks back (and there were a lot of valley quail on that trip, too). The first several weeks were really dismal for me, as I hit many, many areas in the basin and found only a handful of quail. It was downright depressing. The last trip or two sort of made up for that, but it was still a very poor season for me. I'm leaving Seattle for eastern Washington early tomorrow morning for the season closer, and I hope my productive spots pan out.

Maybe you bird dog guys can relate to this. I have two dogs; an 8 year old Llewellin setter who is an accomplished hunter and the young pup who is in training. Because of the scarcity of birds for me this year I've had to neglect the older guy so I can get the pup into as many wild birds as I possibly can, so the Llewellin has only hunted twice this year. I can't tell you how rotten I feel about this. The worst possible thing is to see the crestfallen look on his face when I take the pup and leave him home. I'll have to make up for it by getting him some preserve hunting this spring, although I really don't care for preserves.

Cliff

#18 ·
Uncle Jimmy said:
... Here is a rather bloody documentation of a limit of hatchery fish(dry fly) plus extra,s from a day off in Oct
My mouth is watering UJ, chantrelles, grouse and steelhead.....sweet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.