OP Hatchery fish outlook

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by wannafish, Nov 18, 2012.

1. wannafish In search of Blinky...

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I was going through the hatchery plant reports, and it looks like the Bogie is the only Forks area river to expect back a good run of hatchery fish (none of the others were planted in 2011). The previous 2 years had several more streams/tribs planted. It looks like the Hoh was a no-go due to disease concerns.

Anyone know why the Calawah didn't get any fish? This can probably only be good news for the OP wild fish, but I do like to get my occasional hatchery harvest on when available and what the heck am I supposed to do for the first half of winter??

Interesting how some rivers just get stacked and some areas don't get jack... I was so stoked to move into our house close to the Carbon and now there's virtually no steelheading around here!
  2. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +431 / 0
    2009 and 2008 are the smolt release #s you want to look at, not 2011
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,700 / 2
    There's no point in planting the Calawah, as that and the Bogachiel hatcheries are basically the same facility. The fish just take a left to go to their pens rather than going straight.
  4. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +871 / 0
    From the 2011 Smolt Plant Website
    "State, tribal, federal and regional enhancement groups steelhead smolt releases between April 15 and May 31, 2011 Smolts are defined as hatchery reared steelhead released at a minimum size of 10 fish per pound. The majority of the adult returns from these releases are expected during the 2012-2013 winter and 2013 summer seasons."
  5. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    the bogachiel, calawah, sol duc, and hoh all had their steelhead destroyed due to IHN. the bogachiel was planted with hoko fish.

the only point in planting the calawah is to spread out some of the pressure and give bankies a little more space to chase them.
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,700 / 2
    I suppose that makes sense
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,707 / 0
    Chris is right. The usual Bogie hatchery fish that feed those rivers were lost to an IHN episode. As many alternative fish were used as could be made available, but it was a lot less than normally are reared and stocked.

Sg
  8. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    obviously you should just bonk a wild fish on the hoh :rolleyes:
  9. wannafish In search of Blinky...

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    This is what I was going by for return timing...
    Not sure where you got the idea I'd be interested in doing this... I specified HATCHERY fish harvest in my original post. I was really just wondering why the change. I thought harvesting the hatchery fish was the right thing to do to help avoid competition with the wild fish.
  10. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    Any idea on how many fewer fish were reared and stocked?
  11. skokomish fly New Member

Your moms house
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Between the duc, boggie, calawah and hoh there were 220,000 more fished released in 2010 than 2011. During 2010 the quill system saw about 220,000 plants and the hoh saw about 80,000. So don't count on much of a hatchery brat fishery this year out there.
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,707 / 0
    Steffan,

I don't remember. Have to look it up on the WDFW website for steelhead smolt releases. A bit over half the usual, I think.
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,506 / 9
    Dumbass.
    constructeur likes this.
  14. englunkm New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    May be a dumb question, but I'm new and curious... What is IHN?
  15. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    englunkm likes this.
  16. fish-on Waters haunt me....

camano island
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Check this report.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...TS02#Fish-the-North-Fork-Stilly-for-steelhead

Might have some pertinent info with regards to your question. Interesting to note this particular statement also since it affects hatchery releases in the state especially in those cases where a hatchery needs to get their eggs from another hatchery.

"In 2010, the state adopted sweeping hatchery steelhead reforms under pressure from the federal Endangered Species Act and certain conservation groups which, among other strictures, prohibit planting of steelhead from outside a river's own basin." (See the hatchery reform program at www.wdfw.wa.gov).
  17. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Sarcasm doesn't come through on the interwebz
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,506 / 9
    Was yours sarcasm? Couldn't tell. If it was, so was mine. If not, mine stands as submitted. Wild fish on the Hoh are legal to bonk, one annually. I do not agree with this harvesting option for the health of that fish run. We've pushed them to the edge, any further and another run bites the dust. Bonk your fish if you must, but stay in your beloved Alaska to do it.
  19. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    at least one cannot bonk until feb. 16th... thank god the early season bonking of wild fish was banned. imagine how many wild fish would get killed with so few hatchery fish in the rivers under the old rules.
  20. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +401 / 0
    All the more reason to restore our wild runs . hatchery fish are unreliable. Every coho fisherman in the lower Columbia learned that the hard way this fall.