OP Steelhead Report

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Baker, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    Hit the Olympic Pennisula last Sunday. It was on fire for both hatchery (a little dark now) and native steelhead. I have attached a picture of both fish. It won't be hard to see which one was the bright chrome native! We fished on tribal land with some decent guides. The fishing involves a lot of hiking to pools and riffles. We walked about 4 miles. The walking is primarily in the river and on banks when possible. It's about 50/50. It's a pretty exhausting day by the end. I am not posting the river or the guides name on the forum, but if you'd like to PM me for the name/number that's ok; they can always use some more business.

It was one hell of a day!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. nympher54

nympher54 New Member

JB71,

looks like you were salmon river. I have fished that before and found it to be a great experience. Did you happen to see any "toads" up there. Some of the REZ rivers are touted to have big hatchery fish.

3. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    There were some huge hatchery monsters hangin' out. They were not easily enticed to the fly. My partner hooked one above twenty, but no dice on landing it. It seems to like the timbers. :D

4. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    IS that a 10 mm Pink bead above your yarn fly there?

5. nympher54

nympher54 New Member

Willoman, fancy runnin into you! Jergens! When are you going to head out to the OP with me? I have to work this weekend but will be availbale next week. Give me a ring or post when you get the chance....G

6. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    Something around that size. It's a glue bead that my friend Corey makes. They are sold at Puget Sound Fly Co as well. They are the most productive egg patterns I've ever used. Several colors are available.

7. nympher54

nympher54 New Member

JB71,

Did you happen to fish with RR and walk in on the upper salmon? I have had a chance to go up there a handfull of times and have always been blown away by how pristine it is, lots of fish and no people! What a deal. I have always thought that floating that thing in a small raft and covering ten miles or so would be great.

Oh well, I am glad you had a good time. By the way, I myself have not had a ton of success on beads except on whitefish and spawner....

8. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nympher,

Im going over there with my dad this weekend, i dont know about next weekend but the weekend after that i should be golden, as long the skwala's arent coming off over here :D . ill give you a call this weekend.

9. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    It was the salmon and it is beautiful, but I am not sure who RR is? The rivers this time of year are full of eggs and are the food of choice for most fish. I guess they are just too good to resist. The advanced spawning fish are actually not very interested in them, but the chromer (I guess they are spawning too :) ) love them. I use them for dollies, steelhead, whitefish, and trout. Fresh Salmon will hit them as well. They are my "weapon of choice" during the months they fill the rivers. I love to nymph!

10. nympher54

nympher54 New Member

RR is Robbin Rhoades, really good dude and a lot of fun to fish with. I would recomend him to anyone as far as a guide goes. Thanks on the info on the beads, I should give them a second look, I have always been more successful on glo bugs, could be a confidence thing as far as the fishing thing goes.

I also dig nymphing, I know smoe purist types dont approve but they are just missing the boat...To each their own!