OP Summer Run Report 10-9-12

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jonathan Tachell, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Spent a few days on the OP chasing summer run steelhead and ended up hooking 12 fish, 5 of which I landed. The weather was awesome, sunny and warm in the afternoon but crisp and cool in the mornings. All of the fish that I landed were hatchery fish between 27" and 30". The full report of the trip is on my blog

Tight Lines! October on the OP 040.JPG
    October on the OP 009.JPG October on the OP 023.JPG October on the OP 029.JPG
    October on the OP 006.JPG

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Awesome report man! God I wish I could find the time to chase steel again.

3. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Nice trip! I don't want you to give anything away, but are the hatchery summer runs on the peninsula going to a terminal hatchery or are they planted up higher in the river?

4. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    To my knowledge they are planted in the lower to mid reaches of the rivers. And return to the hatchery from which they were released or at least the pool nearest the hatchery. Hopefully someone on here with more knowledge can answer your question better.

5. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    Oops, I guess I lost track of time on my trip. The report date in the title should read
    10-7-12. This is not a report from the future. Ha ha

6. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Alright, lets see this awesome Oct. Caddis you tied up!

7. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    I would not call it awesome but the fish seemed to like it. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the fly or a camera good enough to take one. The recipe though is as follows: #10 streamer hook with the smallest black bead that will fit on it. Tie in four strands of pearl crystal flash about 3/4" long for a tail. I mixed yellow dubbing and UV shrimp pink dubbing for the body with fine copper wire for a rib. wrap the dubbing and ribbing 3/4 of the way up the shank of the hook towards the bead head and tie off. Add two wraps off black shlapen (sp?) then make about three wraps of peacock herl for a collar between the hackle and bead head. Tie off and you have the finished product. I fished in really low and clear water over spooky fish that were being very tight lipped, so delicate and accurate casts were a must. I fished the fly on a dead drift off of a floating line and 12ft leader down to 8lb flouro. Watch the end of your fly line for movement to indicate a take.