OP This Weekend

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bryce Levin, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Bryce Levin previously upsfisher

Tacoma, Wa/ Everett, Wa
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I will be out on the OP this weekend fishing the Hoh through Tuesday. Green Outcast raft and a white Subaru. If anyone wants to share a beer or do some fishing don't be afraid to say hello.
  2. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
  3. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +714 / 2
    Good luck! Be sure to post the before and after pics... goinggoinggone.jpg
  4. Bryce Levin previously upsfisher

Tacoma, Wa/ Everett, Wa
    Yeah, I am keeping my fingers crossed and options open. We will see.
  5. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +724 / 0
    Pack the beach rod and toy with some SRCs!
  6. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Hopefully that rain will blow out the blockages! I know, wishful thinking...but that's what steelheaders do best.
  7. Benjy Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    We need that rain so f-ing bad. I was on the Hoh yesterday. Every asshat guide in the state of WA is on that river right now because they can't get their POS, military-spec diamond-plate-metal super-tanker drift boats down any other river right now. I was just appalled at the traffic, and the fact that out of 25 or so boats, we might have been the only recreational fishermen out there. What a waste of of vacation day. I might normally fear that bump of water but things are so low that I think you'll have some options this weekend, and I think there are a lot of fish out there in the Ocean just waiting to rush the systems.
  8. SOPoker Banned or Parked

Olympic Corrections Center, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    i smell a pavati ....
    sopflyfisher and orangeradish like this.
  9. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    I counted 21 rigs on OC road earlier this month... unreal....
  10. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +714 / 2
    I'll be over that way next week mid-week. Open seat or two available.

Sorry for the hijack.
  11. Mossyback New Member

Bryce, my buddies and I were camped right across from you. Pretty slow weekend for us (and most others based on the fish checker's report), hope you found some.
  12. golfman65 Guest

Best advice I can say is read the articile in the recent Drake by Rose...

That was a good read and I found it so true of the OP
    JS and Jason Rolfe like this.
  13. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    Bryce and Mossyback,

How it go? Which rivers did you fish and did you float? How was the wind/rain? Crowded?

PM if you feel the need to,

And thanks in advance,
    TR
  14. PfleugerPhister Active Member

Warshington
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    I'm about sick of that Mag whoring on the coast. It's run a number of features about the area in the last several issues, and all it's gonna do is raise awareness to the Montana trout fag contingent. Get ready for more new F350 "ranch edition" giant trucks!
  15. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Judging by the fact that there are 20+ rigs at every popular takeout I don't think you have anything to worry. Pretty sure all those rivers have made the Oprahs THINGS I LOVE list for a couple years running. It's especially awesome to see that most of the guys are fishing eggs under a bobber, you know, for the catch and release wild fish.
  16. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    Ignoring for the moment your weird homophobic tinged rant...

I don't think there was anything in that feature that was "whoring" the coast. The OP is as well known as any other area, and no amount of magazine articles is going to change that one way or another.

Rose's piece was a thoughtful story written by a writer who cares deeply about his local waters. It wasn't a kiss and tell piece, it was about showing the area respect, managing your expectations, not being one of those anglers standing on the gravel bar grimacing all day long when you aren't getting hits.

Of all the magazines out there right now, we're lucky to have one like the Drake that isn't afraid to publish stories with substance for people willing to read between the lines, rather than the boring, stale "fish here" and "check out this new fly" stories.

J
    triploidjunkie and flybill like this.
  17. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +418 / 0
    The drake sucks, as does all the other mags out there that are a backpage.com of fishing prostitution. The best way to keep a place off the radar is don't talk about it especially in print. Sure we all know about the OP, but do the Montana lgbta need to be reminded. Probably not. I'm with pp on this one. Mags and craigslist guides are just what the op needs.
  18. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    I agree this piece was not about whoring out the OP. I have meet Doug and had the pleasure to talk with him on a couple of occasions. He is a man who cares deeply about the fisheries on the OP.

The drake sucks, as does all the other mags out there that are a backpage.com of fishing prostitution

i'll bet 99 % of FF (myself included) have read FFmags at one time or another. How else would all these FF find their way out to the OP, or Montana, or Belieze, or learn which technique or rod is the hot new way to fish?
  19. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Anyone who accuses Doug Rose of pimping out the Peninsula is suffering from a severe case of ignorance and delusional misunderstanding. Holy hand grenade folks....
  20. Mossyback New Member

I agree. Painting Doug Rose as part of the problem is about as far from reality as you could be. Poor guy is battling for his life while internet tough guys are calling him out for "whoring" the OP? Unbeleiveable. Disrespectful. Misinformed.
    Andrew Lawrence likes this.