Open seat- Basin lakes opening weekend

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nick Clayton, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Jay C Active Member

Kenmore, Washington
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    I'm looking forward to fishing with and learning a few things from Nick, Ira and others. Now just need to figure out which rods to bring. Thanks Nick!
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,019 / 1
    Jay, 5 wt's a good starter but if you have a number of others you want to play with...... have at it. I usually find that 3 or more rods in the boat is a bit unwieldy. I'm not a big fan of breaking them. Chronies - 5 wt and a floating line. Most anything else - 5 wt and a sink 2 or intermediate line. (just my opinion)
  3. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +69 / 1

Sure. $400 and it's yours. Again ;). I am excited to get back up to Lenice and the opportunity to use the flies from the Winter Lake 3 swap.

Rod
  4. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,213 / 4
    I can't imagine going out with only 3 rods strung up! What I find much more unwieldy is trying to catch out spools/lines while out in a 10' pram. Especially when there are happy fish nearby. Ira and I have easily had 10-12 rods out in my pram and haven't broken any.... Ok, we did break 1.... But that was only because my fat ass set the hook a little too hard and fell over backwards, damn near tipping us over in the process. That had little to do with an abundance of rods. lol
    triploidjunkie and Irafly like this.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Did you buy the triple double quadruple rod endorsement available only to chronie fishermen?
    Islander likes this.
  6. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,213 / 4

Only two rods at a time for me. But if there was a quad rod endorsement I'd be on that like a Clayton on a buffet line.
  7. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    I'm planning on being at Lenice on Sunday and fishing a couple days. If it's a bust I'll try Quincy or some of the others near by. If the weather cooperates I'm staying the week to fish several lakes and then shoot a pistol match in Ephrata the next Sat. If anyone is fishing past the first weekend let me know and I'll try and meet up.
  8. dp ~El Pescador

.Renton, Wa
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    I think I mentioned I will be at Lenice on the 2nd for the day - only ice will keep me off (you guys too). Pretty sure Scott S will be there as well.
    the circus will be in town!
  9. Jay C Active Member

Kenmore, Washington
    Hey Nick/ Ira -
    Here is what I'm thinking for rods/lines:
    4wt with cortland camo intermediate
    5wt floater with longish leader for indicator fishing
    5wt floater for long line heavy nymphs (Phil Rowley 'naked' fishing)
    5wt with type 6 sinker
    also have a 6 wt if we want to chuck big streamers, or a 7'6" 2wt,and a 8'6" 3 wt just for fun.
    Looking forward to it, hope the weather cooperates.
    Cheers - Jay
  10. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,087 / 1

So 5wt floater with the indicator will be your main weapon of choice, but if you really want to we can find love for all the rest of the rods as well!
  11. Donato Member

Bothell WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Bill, what lake are you fishing on the opener? Lindsey won't be coming so I might fish Lenice or fish with you. Will bring my pontoon boat
    Bob
  12. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    sent you an email. Might want to slide your trip to the following weekend.
  13. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Jay,
    You'll be in good hands with Ira and Nick.
    Bobber Down!
    SF
    Irafly likes this.
  14. Jay C Active Member

Kenmore, Washington
    Thanks Brian! I look forward to fishing with these legends of the stillwater. I hope the weather cooperates. The forecast looks windy and cold over there, not to mention the passes. Looks perfect for duck hunting.:)

Brian - we still gotta try for lings this year.