Open seat tomorrow (6/23)

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm jonesing to get my boat out on the water tomorrow. Trying to get it all worked out after recent acquisition and work done in the shop. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, or where ill go but I'm putting it out there if anyone feels like meeting up somewhere I can fish 2 comfortably on my 15' smokercraft.

Put in in the canal or south sound and chase cutties? Hit MA 11 with the downriggers for kings? I have the day open and am open for just about anything so if you're free and want to get out shoot me a PM

JesseCFowl likes this.
  2. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Shoot, Nick, if I wasn't still trying to get rid of this nasty cold that I and the wife have been suffering from I'd take you up on your offer.

Especially with that new boat 'cuz I've been thinking of picking up something similar. A 15 or 16 seems about right for both salt and fresh here on the KP.

IIRC, you got a Lodge series with a 25 Merc, right? Is it tiller or console?

I've been looking at both Smokercrafts and Duroboats but just haven't gotten up the cojones to pull the trigger yet!

Have a good trip and I hope you find the fish!

Tim

3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Good luck Nick and thanks for the offer. Have a great time!

When you fish the DR for kings, don't forget to bang those lead balls on the bottom once and a while to ring the dinner bell for those big boys!

4. rotato

rotato Active Member

Sometimes I'll fish the tide changes with the riggers and sniff the beaches for cutts in the middle of the tide when the water is moving nicely along

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  5. PT

PT Physhicist

You don't need to bang bottom fishing for the kings that'll be coming thru during the summer. Most are going to be migratory fish which will be suspended off bottom. Blackmouth are another story. Been catching them 60-95' down lately. We got 3 today in area 11. Deepest was 85' in 120' feet of water. No absolutes, you'll find them where you find them.

f1.JPG f2.JPG f3.JPG

Blktailhunter likes this.
  6. High Flyin

High Flyin Active Member

Fished area 11 for 4 hours the other day at the high tide change. Did not see a net fly. Alot of herring but no takers.

7. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    My experience only... and it's possible that my experience is a different because of where I fish, but The KINGS I catch are on the bottom. I have caught and run into them suspended, but the vast majority are on the bottom. I'm talking Mutiny Bay, Bush, Lagoon and Mid Channel Bank. Love to drop a Pt. Wilson dart over the side, hit bottom and bang!

8. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Regarding area 11 -

Are you CNR hatchery fish there until the regular opener? Or are these mostly wild fish you're releasing?

9. PT

PT Physhicist

Releasing wild fish. Eating hatchery fish.

Where you fish does determine how you fish. Mid-channel we get fish that are stuffed with candlefish but find mostly empty stomachs farther into Puget Sound. We fish top to bottom but find most fish suspended as we get further into the Sound. Tacoma area we're fishing 50-70' regardless of bottom depth. Some days a lot deeper but generally not scratching bottom. Used to jig Possession a lot and most fish were close to bottom. Again, no absolutes. Blackmouth fishing is different.

Last week I ran into a wad of fish 70' down in 120' of water in area 10. CnR there.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  10. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Yes, sounds like a lot of fun suspended or not!

I am making my first trip to northwest Vancouver island on July 12 for a week. I understand it's simply travel lane fishing there in the ocean. Looking forward to catching kings and then home in time for the area 9 opener.

11. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for all the tips everyone. I ended up launching at Gig Harbor and fishing MA11 for kings with nothing to show for it. Some further motor problems caused me to cut my trip short, but I didn't see a net out all day in the areas I was in.

It's fun doing some gear fishing from a boat again. It's been years since I've done any of this kind of fishing. I accidently left my running lights on after launching early, and it killed the battery that also ran my depth finder rather quickly so I was fishing blind for the rest of the day. Still, was a blast to get out. I can't wait to start slaying some salmon!

Jason Rolfe likes this.