Opening Day TR

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by ak_powder_monkey, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Opening day... What can I say people stoked that they might have a chance to snag some reds and catch a few salmon, especially with the horrible king return, the tension on the drive was palpable. The parking lot at 11 was a party atmosphere. I parked on the road though and biked the two miles to the campground. Saved $11
    [​IMG]

Got to the river and rigged up by 11:15 only 45 minutes to wait, yeah I was a bit amped, figured I'd calm down and have a beer to toast the new season
    [​IMG]

Decided to try throwing this, just because
    [​IMG]

Didn't get anything on the mouse in the opening minutes, decided to switch to a big nasty flesh fly, missed a bunch of fish. Glow in the dark bobbercator mixed with huge flesh fly getting thrown around in the dark, finally got a hook up.
    [​IMG]

Wandered around in the dark and high water for a while, not catching anything, finally lost my one flesh fly and decided to hang out until dawn. Made a fire drank a beer, and waited. Finally around 3:30 it was light enough to tie on a new fly and start fishing. Went up to this rock, bam... Fish Cast Again, Fish, and again, fish. Go to the hole I was constantly fishing as a kid. It was a parade of trout every third or fourth cast I'd hook a fish.
    Most looked like this
    [​IMG]

I like smaller trout on this flow, they look prettier than the big boys, also I don't care that much about losing them. I hooked some big fish too, one was huge 24" or 25" and all colored up but I lost him right at the net. Caught a few in to low 20s Like this one
    [​IMG]
    These big boys were skinny after the spawn, but they all were healthy, fighting hard, jumping, and running. Looks like this will shape up to be a good trout year.
    [​IMG]

Bye Bye
    [​IMG]

Left as the sun came up over the mountain, after catching my fill of rainbows.
    [​IMG]