Opening day - what are you tying on?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by mtskibum16, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Thanks Eric,
    Those are just stick on eyes covered with UV cure.
  2. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    SF, What keeps them from spinning or riding on their sides?
  3. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Josh,
    I've never had an issue with them spinning or riding on their side. I always use a non slip loop knot and strip fast, so perhaps that is the reason.
    The coho seem to agree with the color combos and fishing technique. :D Hope to see you out on the beach this summer.
    SF
  4. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    Hey Brian,

About how long are those flies and what size of stinger are you using?

Also, I don't have a set up to do the epoxy flies properly (although I suppose I could try to build a head like that with the five minute epoxy I have). Would it work as well to use dumb-bell eyes?

Finally, is that strip of red just tying thread?

Thanks.

Jason
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Jason,
    The flies are about 4" long. I generally use size 1 or 2 for the stingers at this time of the year. I'll use down to size 4 on smaller patterns and up to 1/0 or 2/0 later in the year once more ocean fish roll in. 2/0 may seem large, but not really compared to a large coho's mouth.
    If you leave the stinger loop long enough, you can easily change out the hook for different sizes or if it gets dinged on the beach.

Dumbbells would work, but I prefer them on clouser style flies. If you don't want to mess with epoxy, consider doing this. Buy a tube of Loon Knot Sense and a curing light. It will make a head very similar to epoxy and a tube will do a ton of flies. It will dry a bit tacky, so set it out in the sunlight for a final cure or coat it with Sally Hansen hard as Nail. It makes a nice durable head and is quick and easy to use versus epoxy.
    I recently started using a UV cure and light sold by forum member Silver Creek. His light works great and his cure is tack free and works extremely well.

I tie the patterns with fine mono thread. The red gill is 8/0 tying thread and I coat them as well with UV cure for durability.

I hope this helps.
    SF
  6. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +751 / 0
    nice flies guys. i did have a question on the ultra realistic ones... do they actually work better?

i've tried some of the stiff realistic patterns and maybe it was the wrong retrieve but i've never seen them work as well as patterns with movement. i love the way they look though so i am always hopeful.
    nailbender likes this.
  7. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
    Do you fish clouser/deceiver style stuff or S&A patterns when chasing silvers or pinks? That is, when you're not trying to entice them to kill something on top?

Curious what you'd fall back on when trying to get people (you included) into fish. Not looking for secrets, just generalities.
  8. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +198 / 0
    I love those flies! I remember you showing them to me once (or something similar). Where do you buy the Power Pro? So bucktail along with the various flash you mentioned, anything else? Those are just stickie eyes under the epoxy/UV head right? Lastly, what size is the sacrificial hook and stinger?

Edit: Quoted before reading the rest of the thread. Saw your answers to some of my questions so ignore those :)
  9. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Yes, it's Matt. I use peacock in a sandlance pattern Josh Smestad showed me, so I'm sure it would be a good addition on a clouser too. For me, usually less is more because I'm a lazy tyer. I often start with more elaborate ties and start leaving things out until I stop catching fish. :oops: I think this is why I started using the fish scales (seen here) - it's got everything in one convenient package. Most fly shops seem to have it these days. My go-to pattern last year was a sparse chartreuse over chartreuse fish scale clouser tied stinger style with a few strands of UV flash b/w the belly and wing. Seemed to work well enough.
  10. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Matt,
    I buy the Power Pro at Three Rivers. I use 100 lb and they only have it in dark green. Way overkill I know...:D I just buy 20-30 yards and that will last me a summer of coho flies. The flies in the picture I posted are tied with white Jerry Brown 100 lb braid, but it isn't as stiff.
    The reason I use the 100 lb braid is for the stiffness. It has just the right amount of stiffness to run straight yet still flow with the fly. It also doesn't let the stinger flop around much and foul the fly.

No other material used. Stick on eyes under the UV cure. Stingers on those are size 1 and 2's. Front hook is a size 4, Mustad 34007 or 3407, whichever I can find the cheapest in 100 packs. Another good and inexpensive hook to use for the front is a Eagle Claw 413 60 degree jig hook.

There are a bunch of really good coho patterns out there that folks tie. These have worked very well for me in the past.
    I think the key is to fish with what you have confidence in.

SF
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  11. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    I have no secrets when it comes to fly patterns. When I absolutely, positively have to hook a coho I fish a flashtail chartreuse/white clouser or half & half. I'm sure the Shock and Awe's kick ass too, but fishing offshore I have yet to really need anything else.

imo, the flashtail is the key. having flash move independently of the rest of the fly is a trigger. I once sat on a baitball near Duncan Rock for 30 minutes as coho crashed it. A fly tied with a flashtail got hit every drop where non-flashtail flies didn't work near as well.
    mtskibum16 likes this.
  12. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Thanks for sharing that idea.

Any pics? If not - by flashtail are you referring to flash that you secure in between the chartreuse/white on your clousers that runs along the entire length of the body, or is it flashy material that you secure further down on the fly? Sounds like the latter of the two, but I thought I'd make sure.
  13. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
    Thanks!
  14. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    yes, and just make sure it extends past the fibers of whatever material makes up the bulk of your clouser... i like at least 1/2"
    JayB and dryflylarry like this.
  15. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    I'm definitly going to make an effort to meet you guys on the water this year. Gotta find my first ocean coho! I've lost the couple I managed to hook. I usually get way too excited and head out two weeks before the run starts, this year, I'm going to try and pace myself!
  16. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    We'd love to have you Steve!
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    OK. You nitwits have gotten me stoked. I'm going exploring early tomorrow morning and see what I can find. We may all be on the verge of making those guys east of the Cascades start drooling soon! :)
  18. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,537 / 0
    If this season of taking call ever ends, my opener may be about three weeks hence, I may yet have what I like to call an Edward Snowden on:

DSCN0360.JPG

I'll mash that barb yet...

But If I get out sooner probably some messy prospector like thing such as:

DSCN0361.JPG