opening weakend

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Bob Rankin, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    Well saturday is the season opener for lake's state wide. Takeing the wife and kids to Banks for the weakend. Its time to show the power baiters how we roll! Safe fishing all!
    Mark Kraniger and Jeff Dodd like this.
  2. Paul_ Active Member

La Center
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Opening day was like Christmas for me when I was a kid.

I would organize my tackle box the day before, which was full of Triple Teazers, Dick Nites, Daredevils & Ford Fenders. The excitement of the next day made it difficult to fall asleep.

I was lucky enough to live a 1/2 mile away from a lake and to have parents that didn't mind getting up at 5 a.m. to drop me and my little pram off at the lake.

Although I haven't fished my Opening Day childhood lake in over 20 years, to this day I still consider it my home waters.

Hopefully we'll hear some great reports about some family fun opening day experiences.

Hopefully there'll be no reports with people complaining about how busy there local water was with bait chuckers and lure casters. It's Opening Day!

Also, hopefully no fly-fisherman (who fishes a lot) brags about how they out-fished all the bait fisherman, when realistically 95% of the Opening Day bait fisherman are kids and families that fish once or twice a year.
    Irafly likes this.
  3. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Paul,
    There is no time like the present to fish your childhood lake. I'm not sure that my kids like fishing as much as they say they do.They just know how much I like it and therefore just want to be next to me. That's pretty good for an 8 and 4 year old girl. I think a couple of chiro's on a barbie zebco rod usually does the trick. They will most likely out fish my buddies.
    triploidjunkie and bwillroll like this.
  4. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,337 / 0
    Banks lake is open year round. Why go there on the opener?
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Could be he likes to fish corn for carp with his flyrod.
  6. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    That sounds good to Bill. No, I know its open all year, We just go there on opening weakend. It used to be out in Tonasket but for some reason its Banks lake these days. There is a group of about 30 of us and I guess its our new spot. I dont get into much fishing, its more for the kids. My time will come!
  7. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +448 / 1
    hey Rankin, if your back in town the local lake has been putting out some hogs as well as some legendary evening midge hatches that provide non stop sight fishing to "boilers".
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  8. bwillroll Member

bellingham, wa, whatcom.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I'll be at Lake Padden with my seven and five year old tossing power bait with pink and blue spinning rods early tomorrow morning. I can't wait! My kids love to fish, but it's really more about them loving to be with me, which is good enough for me.
  9. Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    I fished Pine Lake growing up. It was the place to be on opening day on the eastside of lake washington. soaked powerbait for such a long time till i realized how to to get in and out with 5 fish in less than 30 mins....wanted more fun and that's why I picked up fly fishing.

Still go out there every year but it's the one weekend that I can safely guarantee fish for the young kids that i'm taking out fishing, generally for the first time. It's also great to pass on tips and help out the parents who only fish once a year.

If anyone is out on Pine Lake tomorrow, come by and say hi! I should be out in my porta-bote. (I can understand if you're avoiding the zoo that's there, but it's part of the fun)
  10. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,095 / 1
    There are so many "openers" for me now, March 1st Basin Opener, April 1st Opener, 1st Saturday in June Opener, but the traditional opener still holds a special place in my fishing heart. As a kid, I wanted out there at midnight and when I could finally drive that is exactly what I did, but that wore off soon enough. I'll still be out there tomorrow with the crowds, loving every second of it, hopefully with my 6 year old boy (the one that sang to the fishes). He loves me and all but fishing just isn't his thing for the most part (and trust me I've tried just about everything to keep him interested).

I'm not sure where I'll be tomorrow but I'll say hi to everyone nonetheless.
  11. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,337 / 0
    You do know Rufus is right there? I assume you're staying at Sunbanks.
  12. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Yep, Bob is at Sunbanks. I "caught" him yesterday in Ephrata on his way up there.
  13. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Well the wind blew hard all weekend there were a few times it let up so the kids could fish. I didnt pick up a fly rod once just rigged up worms and cought a sun burn. All and all we had a great time.cought some trout and some carp cought a buz and most of all I cought some good family time with my girls. will post pics soon.

Bob
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  14. bakerite Active Member

Baker City Oregon
    Ratings: +82 / 0
    I got out to my local reservoir on Sunday for 3 hours. There were three boats out and some local folks fishing powerbait by the camping area. I walked out on the elk refuge to the inlet and caught about 10 fish on hares ears and chirons. Two were right at 16 inches, the rest from 10 - 12. The wind wasn't bad over here, but it was steady.....If everyone there caught a limit this weekend I figure that leaves about 14,910 of last yeas fish left, plus the holdovers! There are going to be a lot of good trips this year.
  15. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,698 / 0
    Gee... maybe it's time for a road trip to Baker (aka: Baker City)... I think I have a few GHREs laying around. :)
    bakerite likes this.
  16. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,095 / 1
    I made it out to a lake with my son and in 4 1/2 hours we landed 75 fish. About 10 were 15" to 16", one was just over 17", one was just over 18" and the rest were in the 10" to 12" range. Now, too bad my son doesn't really like catching fish.
  17. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +332 / 0
    I saw I surprisingly low number of boats on Ki Saturday on my way to work. I thought about fishing another local lake tonight but the wind was HOWLING.
  18. smole Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    The wife, boys, dog and I headed up to our little cabin on Lake McMurray for the weekend. My two 5 year old boys had a blast catching stockers in between the rain systems that rolled thru the area. No fishing for me, I was too busy on the oars, unhooking fish, offering up snacks and spinning tales of my youth spent fishing. What a fantastic family weekend, we all had such a blast ~ one of my boys even took first place in the local fishing derby! Fatherhood just keeps getting better, definitely my most memorable lowland lakes opener to date.