opinions saught - best all round cartridge

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by martyg, Nov 29, 2009.

1. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Your thoughts - best all round cartridge for Deer & Elk in the West.
  2. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I personally think you would have a tough time beating the 30.06 for thin skinned animals anywhere in the world. If I had to choose one caliber for hunting anything in North America it'd be an '06. Recoil is managable and it can be loaded to safely and efficiently handle the largest animals on our continent.

I'm sure a lot of guys will recommend one of the new short magnums and the 300 Win Mag, but from a hunting perspecitve I see no advantage of these calibers in the field. Gun writers hype them and salesmen push them, but from an objective perspective they offer little when it comes to putting game on the ground.
  3. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I love the .270
  4. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    30-06 hands down.
  5. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
  6. John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Kirkland, WA
    Game up to elk sized:
    30.06 or its family (280 Rem, 270 Win, 35 Whelan)
    308 Win

I love the 6.5x55 Swede, but its a little light for elk. Swedes use even up to moose.
    I also use the 7mm-08.
  7. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    If you think you want/need a magnum, get a 300 win mag( not the short) (I shoot a 300 H$H , badass old school cal.)

Non mag , get a .270 ...
    Lots of feller's been re- inventing the wheel the last 10 years or so, but these two old horses continue to get the job done despite there lack of "excitement".

This old boy got it with the 300 H$H

[IMG]
  8. Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Ukiah, CA but moving to Spokane
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    In the last four years, with a 300 WSM I've taken one shot kills on five elk, two mulies, and eight blacktails. I use it because it extends my range, but then again I shoot a LOT, practice out beyond 500 yards and try to work within 100 yards. Sometimes you just can't. But a 30-06 is still one of the greatest as well.

Most important factor for a rifle, considering you will be using the proper load and bullet for the game hunted (I use a 168 gr Barnes TSX for everything), is that you practice, practice, practice so you can confidently put three bullets from field shooting positions at whatever range from which you are comfortable shooting at game within an 8" circle. A 5" circle would be better and a good practice is to put balloons blown up to about 8" on wire coat hangers at various yardages and get to the point where you can break them on every shot.
  9. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    60 pound recurve at 28 inches, stalk within 8 yards, take em down;)
  10. J.Butch New Member

Bellingham, WA
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the .308... It's always been a favorite of mine- maybe I'm out out of whack...?
  11. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    J -

Maybe. I have considered the .308, but ballistically it doesn't look like it carries enough energy to kill an Elk much beyond 100 - 200 yards. Mind you that I have never hunted with one, so it am just pre-supposing.
  12. John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Kirkland, WA
    Waddya mean? I mentioned it in my list of suggestions. jd
  13. John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Kirkland, WA
    Keep in mind, the 308 carries the exact same ballistics as the 30-06, with a 1/2" shorter case. That's why the US miltary switched to it in the 1950's. That applies with the standard 150 gr bullet wts they used. The difference at other bullet wts is only about 1-3%
    between the 30.06 and the 308, up to 200 gr bullets, where the gap widens a little.

You can always get a wildcat improved version and do better. That what I did with my 280 Rem, and so its ballistics now exceed the 7 mm Rem Mag, with 1/3 less powder burned.
    jd
  14. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    A couple of the primary reasons I chose the 30.06 is the availability of ammo and the large array of bullet weight options available.
  15. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    '06 because its what I have.
  16. FLGator Member

PNW
    martyg,
    You may already have been through this, but there is some good information here regarding the .308: 6mmbr.com/308Win.html

With that, as mentioned, the '06 would still be my first choice in a rifle to pursue deer, elk and thinned skin animals on any continent.

Know you'll do your due diligence.

P.S. Another consideration worth looking into is one of JD Jones' SSK Industries Hand Cannons built on a TC Encore frame. A lot lighter to pack around and very, very capable. (sskindustries.com)
  17. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Prior to the advent of the premium high energy loads that Fedral developed I would have opted for a 300 Win. for all game up to and including moose. With these high energy loads available the 30.06 is my choice! The 180 grain Nosler partion is very compable to the 300 Win. Two BC moose learned how well they work! Both dropped with 1 shot and the furthest was just shy of 225 yards!
    And as previously metioned there is a very large selection of loads available. By accident I learned that In my particular rifle the 180 grain premium high energy from Federal and their standard 150 grain have the same zero point at 200 yards! It sure makes things easy.

Occasionally you find some super buys on .06's. The one I have now I picked up used in a gun store. When I saw it in the rack I thought it was new! No marking on the bolt nor the cartridge follower could be seen. No use marks on the wood! So I picked up a Remington 700 BDL with detachable box magazine and good open sights for $200!!! Both features are a real plus. I installed some Leupold guide scope mounts, you can take off the scope and put it back on without messing up the zero point. A real advantage in fog, rain or snow when magnification is a bad thing! I also took it in to a good gun smith and had it accurized and the trigger tuned up.

wet line Dave
  18. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    Placement
    Projectile
    Cartridge

Those things, in that order are all that really matter. Using the TSX and practicing covers the first two issues. Makes the third nearly moot.

My 15-year-old son shot his moose a couple months ago with a 7x57 and a 120gr TSX. No elk alive weighs as much as that moose did and there was never a doubt. My wife hunts Kodiak brown bear with the TSX and a 7-08... and moose and caribou and black bears. BTW, I just got a VERY heavy box from Barnes bullets in today's mail. All 6mm and 7mm stuff. You have to love flat rate boxes!

A gun nut would not have asked the question, so I would suggest you take the fine advice of the majority and find a 30-06. The ammo is easier to find and more likely to be cheaper. It will do anything, anywhere assuming you put the effort into knowing what it can do.
    art