WTB Orange grizzly hackle

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Sean Beauchamp, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Cant find any decent saddles around these parts looking for black barred grizzly hackle in orange, also interested in any other interesting colors you have laying around. I'd prefer long slender feathers for steelhead patterns. Thanks!

2. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    One idea is you can dye your own. I've done that for chartruese, pink, and orange. It's not hard to do. Let me know if you want more details.

3. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hey Sean, take some grizzly hackle, get some orange kool-aide, put some water in a small bowl w/kool-aide, submerge the feathers and micro wave for 5-10 seconds. Rinse in cold water, dry and tie!

Irafly likes this.
  4. Sean Beauchamp

Media:
    Alright I guess I'll go that route and see what happens.

5. fis_her22

fis_her22 New Member

Sean, I have a sweet Orange dyed grizzly saddle.....long and narrow. I would be will to share a few

6. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Stand out in front of a high end hair salon and look for the girl with the orange featha's in her hair.. maybe you can buy it off of her! I think I have some orange around, but they aren't real long and slender.. I do have plenty of olive, a merlot color, and some purple. A little bit of red, but that's mine! :)

7. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

So did you give it a try Sean? The hackles I did came out like Denny Rickard's burnt orange.....I also used lime (dark green, good for bass poppers and bait fish backs) then mixed red and green and that turned the hackle a nice turd color.;)

8. Sean Beauchamp

Media:
    Haven't had time! Work is crazy right now. Maybe I can sneak some arts and crafts in next week, nervous to ruin good feathers tho!

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Sean, I tried orange Koolaid last year and I wasn't happy with the color. Luckily, I experimented with only a few and they were not prime feathers. I probably just need to play with it more but haven't had time. Hope it works for you but I'd recommend you play with some cheap feathers first.

10. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

From a guy John in FFBC

Instructions For Kool-Aid Dyeing
    1. Prepare feathers to be dyed by rinsing under warm water with a mild detergent such as Sunlight dishsoap.
    2.Based on how many feathers you're going to dye, boil enough water to cover feathers in whatever pan you're using. A pan of nonporous material is best but not essential.
    3.Let water simmer and add kool-aid and it is absolutely crucial that you use non-sweetened kool-aid. The number of packs you use will depend on how vibrant you want the colours to be. For dyeing a complete cape I use 5 packs. After adding kool-aid, add a jigger of vinegar (approx. 1 ounce) and stir. The acid in vinegar will help cut the colour into the feathers.
    4. Add feathers to water and, using a wooden spoon or reasonable substitute, submerge feathers making sure every part of the feathers are subjected to the dye.
    5. It usually only takes 5-10 minute for the feathers to soak up all the dye leaving the water almost clear.
    6. Once the desired colour is obtained remove the feathers, put on a paper towel and place in microwave. When dyeing a full cape I heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds and this helps the feathers to remain colourfast. (When I'm tying with the finished product I get virtually no colour on my fingers from the material, unlike black marabou)
    7. After removing feathers rinse under cold water to remove any excess dye.
    8. Hang to dry, I use potato bag clips and the feathers are ready to use the next day. You can speed up the drying process by applying a blowdryer intermittently.
    With different flavours of kool-aid you can experiment by mixing different colours to achieve your own colours but make sure you document portions when you come up with that special concoction. Have fun with it and once comfortable with the process you will be amazed at how easy kool-aid dyeing can be.

Regards,
    John

Ron McNeal likes this.
  11. Sean Beauchamp

Media:
  12. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    The dye that I use is an acid dye (vinegar) and bindds with protien which will not fade, and the color turns out great. It's easy to do on your stove. The orange is a burnt orange color, which looks great. Here is the website: http://jacquardproducts.com/acid-dye.html

And they have a lot more colors than kool-aid! :)

13. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

Funny story.

I bought an orange saddle from Denny himself at a fly show several years ago after watching him tie up some lake flies. I think I paid $40 for it. I took it home, tied a dozen or 2 lake flies (really, how many can you use) then put it away in my feather drawer. Every time I'd open that drawer I'd come across it and wonder, what the hell was I thinking spending 40 bucks on this thing.

About a year and a half ago I sold that orange saddle to a hairdresser on Ebay for $350. That's why they're hard to find.

14. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    No sugar? Dang, I bought some orange Tang when I couldn't find Kool Aid. Oh well I guess I'll just drink it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.