Oregon Chukar Report

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by D3Smartie, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Spent the last 3 days down in oregon chasing steelhead and chukars. Unfortunately my shooting was very poor and the fishing was even worse. found some decent numbers of birds but very few young birds. I did shoot some of the biggest chukars I have seen recently but the lack of younger birds was a sure indication of a poor hatch. Most of the birds were about 1/2 down the hills and in the draws, very drawn to water at this point with the hot weather.
    Over the time i was down there I would say i saw 10-12 different covies. Some ranging from 15 plus birds down to small groups of 3 or 4. Hopefully i can make it back and chase those bigger groups here in the near future.

2. I was down there two weekends ago and noticed the same thing. Most of the birds we ran into were pretty big with one I shot being the biggest chukar I've ever seen. We ran into them early in the day up top and and spent the rest of the day chasing them down some pretty brutal side hill. We found one covey late in the day right down by the river that did have some smaller birds. I dropped one in a slow spot and it was fun to watch my dogs head in for a water retrieve. Not something you expect when you're out hunting chuckar.