Oregon Coast Late November?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Kcahill, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    Is it fishable in late november or am I just going to get wet and cold and pounded by waves for nothing?

I have John Sheweys book so I imagine I can tie up some reasonable looking flies and find a rock to stand on for some perch or rockfish, but I have no clue what the beaches look like down there.

Any input is appreciated!
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    I never go after the surfperch when the surf is big, the wind is blowing too strongly onshore, or its stormy.
    I have enjoyed some decent surfperch fishing here on Grayland beaches in the winter BETWEEN storm systems when high pressure developed and the swell dropped to very small, and the wind was offshore or reasonably light. I was huckin' bait, though. I give that a go at least a couple of times each winter, if I check the conditions and say to myself, "Hmmm, looks like it might be a decent day to try for perch."

Where are you going to be?
  3. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    What is considered small in the way of swells?

I am just going to be down there for 3-4 days to goof off at the shore and look at some property, I figure ill just bring along some waders and a 7wt with a sink tip and some dry clothes.

KC
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Small surf would be less than head high. Low tides are usually easier to fish. Here where I live, at very low tides there will often be a trough inside of the outer bar where the surf is breaking and losing most of its energy. You can approach such a trough and effectively fish it until the incoming tide lets the waves move unbroken over the outer bar, whereupon they break where you are (were) fishing. Then you must adjust your position or go find another spot.
  5. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +359 / 0
    One place I've always wanted to fish in November is Siltcoos lake south of Florence. I don't think this is quite what you're looking for, but coho run up the stream to the lake. I took a look this spring when I was driving through with the family and not sure about beach access. Nice boat ramps, and I expect plenty of boat rentals available.

Have a fun trip wherever you land.

Jeff
  6. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Newport Jetties could be good if you're in the area; been a long time, but used to catch salmon, Ling, rockfish off the South Jetty.
  7. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    I will have to check out the Jetties if I make it down to newport, that lake does look incredible Jeff but probably not on the list for this trip. I actually may not bring a fly rod with me since it appears as of this morning I will be working in Argentina in December and should probably use this time to spend with the girlfriend.