Oregon coast range beaver pond

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by olypenjeeper, Oct 14, 2013.

1. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

Finally was able to return to this spot, this time by car as the land owners allow access during hunting season. A few months ago my friend and I biked about 8 miles up a logging road to find it. The woods were full of chantrelles still and the weather was just perfect. Fished my trusty 3 wt lamiglas honey rod with some hand tied flies. Got into a couple of real bruisers, easily over 12" and fat, def bigger and hungrier than a few months ago. Lost a real big one, I was under gunned with the 3 wt. I've been doing alot of beaver pond exploring this summer, sometimes it's nothing but a big rain puddle, other times like these it's all worth it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Water all by yourself, letting the labs run and hunt without worry, nice little cuts. Looks like a lot of fun to me!

3. olypenjeeper

I didn't realize my pics are upside down! it was awesome, the last nice days of the year. The black dog is a blue heeler mix, and the other little guy is a blonde border collie/heeler mix, he's only 4 months old and is turning out to be awesome. He did his first two night backpack trip a few weeks ago, hiking over 10 miles.

4. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

Heaven

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Once I turned my monitor upside down to compensate, the photos looked fine :)

(You used your phone to take the photos, didn't you? Shame. Shame.
    :p)

6. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Even upside-down those are sweet pics!

And they reminded me of the beaver ponds I wanted to explore up here on the Kitsap Peninsula.

Sad to say, I haven't gotten around to that particular fishery yet but hey!, you've got me thinkin' about it again!! :)

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I too have wanted to check out some ponds in Kitsap. Probably the same ones. You ever need a partner for an exploratory mission, I'm your guy.

Beautiful pics.

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Explorer Guide Service available....contact dryflylarry. ;)

Nick Clayton likes this.
  9. 13.robb

13.robb New Member

Awesome pictures! I love biking in to a fishing spot too. I've never fished a beaver pond, but I'm suddenly dying to check some out. Thanks for sharing the flicks.

10. olypenjeeper

I use a combination of google earth and bing maps to find my spots, I find that bing maps has more accurate dates and current logging roads at least around me.

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Nice! I know of a small lake that is almost small enough to be a very large beaver pond, except that the couple of times I've fished there, I saw no beaver activity. However, since it is called a "lake" and it is open year round, it is better than a beaver pond! It has wild cutts! Mostly small ones, but fun on a 3 wt. It is named Beaver Lake, and its not the one near Issaquah.

You know where it is, olypenjeeper! Near your old stomping grounds. A very long drive from civilization, out towards the end of the earth. I'm going to make an effort to get out on it early next week, the next time I head north to go visit my Dad.

12. olypenjeeper

Oh yeah I've fished it a few times! rumor had a few years ago they put a couple LMB into that lake, never did catch any of those though. My In-laws live in Beaver, at the fish hatchery. Well for another month before they move to Spokane. I'm still gonna make the trip up to Forks, just not as often and it won't be the same without them there. Couple good lakes out there on the west end, some known others not so much, but most require lots of driving up logging roads

13. Nick Clayton

Media:
    One of my favorite lakes out there had steelhead in it. I can't remember wgt exactly but they were there. Used to fish it with my dad. He has caught some real nice ones out of that little lake. I should drag the pram out there one of these days and see if they are still there

14. olypenjeeper

They're still there Nick

Nick Clayton likes this.
  15. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Good to know, Oly. My dad, who lived in Joyce, fished it alot till he got older and stayed closer to home.

I grew up on the peninsula and don't get out there as much as I should. Will have to make a trip out one of these days.

16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Well, it looks like we finally have our access back to the lakes inside ONP. I am hoping to fish Crescent one more time this year, and maybe even go out and poke around Ozette.

17. olypenjeeper

Sad to report, went back today with my friend and his 5 year old son. The pond has been completely fished out by some heartless bastards. Found bobbers, and empty beer cans. Damn shame as I thought this place was a secret. Fished for about 30 minutes without seeing anything. It appears to be devoid of all fish life now.

18. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Member

Media:
    Beaver ponds are gems and secrecy from the beer/bait crowd a must.

Once they learned to read it was all over with ;)