Oregon, Wyoming, Montana....

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by wildatheartphoto, Oct 20, 2005.

1. The fishing adventure started on the Williamson River in SE Oregon. The Williamson is my home river, and certainly an amazing trophy trout fishery. I caught several fish on nymphs, dries, and streamers, however, I hooked and landed my second largest wild rainbow ever. The resident rainbow, a 25.5 inch 6 pounder (check the pics) put up an incredible fight. This is as close as you get to steelhead with a wild bow. I then traveled to the unmistakenly beautiful Jackson Hole, WY. I fished the Snake River, Flat Creek, and Pacific Creek. This yielded a few rainbows, and lots of Cutthroat. It was then on to Yellowston National Park where I fished the Firehole and the Gibbon Rivers. The weather was cold, but the fishing was great. I got into several browns and a few cutts. Next it was off to Ennis, MT. Madison River here I come!!! I floated the Madison for two straight days. I caught a plethora of wild rainbows, a few whitefish, and some browns. The trip was incredible! Everything from dry flies to nymphs to streamers. There were no crowds...just me the mountains, the fish, and the rivers!!! Take a 4wt. rod...you can really feel the action!!! I personally love my Sage TCL and TXL 4weight rods......If you have any questions about the areas I visited please feel free to ask! I am reasonably knowledgable about these rivers as I fish them several times a year.

Attached Files:

2. Thanks for the great report and pictures. You definitely hit some nice water on that trip.

Jim Jones

3. The Williamson rainbow is a PIG! Is that private water?

4. nice pics and sweet report.

5. Ah, the sweet Williamson! I lived in Klamath Falls for 16 years and that was the first river I flyfished on in Oregon, first fish I caught was a brown out of the Wood River in Ft Klamath.

Sweet trip you took and thanks for sharing the photos too.

LB

6. That is one nice fish! Fantastic time of year to be fishing.