Organizing Gear????

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Runejl, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    I am at Hoarder Status when it comes to fishing gear... seriously will probably end up on one of those stupid TLC shows. "Man buried alive by fishing gear"

Between Fly tying equipment, Rod building equipment, two pontoon boats and then different rods reels and flys (Also conventional gear) for different species I have a room full of stuff, but am teribbly organized. It makes it a gong show every time I am trying to gear up for some different type of fish.

How do you guys organize your stuff? Do you have any Pictures?

I cant be the only one suffering. Ha ha.

Thanks for any help,
    Josh

2. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I think you meant to write you are terribly UNorganized...

With great amounts of equipment comes great disorganization. :) I'm living it, as well; and, it sounds like it's probably worse than yours...

3. PT

PT Physhicist

Separate bags for separate species. A few stackable drawered totes. A bedroom for sleeping, kitchen for cooking, living room for relaxing, and about 3 other rooms full of miscellaneous fishing tackle. I keep trying to get organized but don't know where to start. Having 3 bags ready to go helps. Bag for trout, 1 bag steelhead fly, 1 bag steelhead gear makes it easier to grab and go but there's always stuff I need to transfer from 1 bag to the next or grab something out of a tote that might be needed.... Mayhem at its best.

Let's not get started talking about the boats.....

Porter likes this.
  4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I break it down between fly and conventional gear.
    I got a few of the big three drawer plastic storage bins.
    http://www.sterilite.com/ProductCategory.html?ProductCategory=20&section=1
    It helps keep it somewhat organized. I still have to do a once a year clean up of all the fishing stuff lying around the house and garage.
    I always leave a few rods rigged up so I can be out my door pronto if I decide on a last minute trip.
    SF

5. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I hoard flies, especially streamers, and probably have too many rods, reels, etc. For me, the best way to organize a lot of big flies plus all my other small gear ranging from reels to tools to tippet spools and so on is to dedicate an old clothes dresser to storing it all. I use my childhood 4-drawer dresser and it fits all of it. If it starts to overflow, my rule about no overflows signals me to throw things out or sell some of it. Right now, I have 8 fly lines poised to be listed here on WFF classifieds. I also have a pair of Cliff's Bugger Beast fly boxes for most of my streamers. That model is a briefcase-sized fly box that swallows a huge number of big flies. I store them there and just pluck out what I need for a day of fishing and stick those into a smaller box.

6. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I just throw it all in a corner in a heap .

I enjoy the hunt .

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    That's my current system as well. To make it more challenging I have multiple heaps throughout the house, garage, and my car. :oops:

Nick Clayton likes this.
  8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Organization and tidiness is for people who are too lazy to hunt for stuff. I have fishing tackle stashed in the garage, garage attic, basement dedicated fishing tackle closet, and basement storage room. I am getting lazier about the hunt and harbor intentions of getting my gear better organized. Someday.

Sg

Nick Clayton likes this.
  9. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, I always tell myself that I'll organize during the off season. The problem is, I haven't really found an "off" season to speak of.

Our house isn't huge, and storage is at a premium, so one thing we've done is buy two outdoor sheds. One is about 6' high by 3' wide, that we originally bought to keep fishing gear in. Its one of those Rubbermaid molded plastic numbers. Then a year or so later we added a bigger version of the same thing. This one is a walk in job with double doors. Its something like 7x7 inside or something along those lines. It has a ton of room, but I've already got it stuffed with gear.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I only have 5 rods that I use. I don't fish for Steelhead because there isn't any where I live now. My flies are all 16, 18, 20 hook size so I know where they are all at.(in their fly boxes). I don't have much gear as what I have I use. I keep it all in my truck as that is what I use for fishing.

11. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    My disorganization makes it tough for the wife to pin down what exactly I own!!

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

It use to be easy. Trout and Steelhead/Salmon split. Light vs. heavy. But then I got in to having a dry fly rod for small creeks, then a dry fly rod for big water, then a lake streamer rod, a saltwater src rod, a saltwater salmon rod, a river streamer rod, and so on...see where this is going? :rolleyes: Then reels and lines to match all, then special fly wallets or boxes/containers for each. Getting out of hand now :eek:... It has become complicated....much like governement, and I find myself spending more money than I should because I already have some supplies but I lose track of it in my big complicated mix/mess web of things. I have duplicates and even trips of tippet rolls, I have flies I have forgotten about that I could easily use instead of funding for more. Only if I was more effecient then being lazy I might be able to afford a new Bauer or something interesting? Damn that sounded kinda rep...b....l......ah never mind! ;)

13. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

Bins, racks, a label maker, and a 2200 sf shop..... I'm not allowed in the house with what the wife considers "all that crap". The dog is allowed in coated head to toe in muck after a rain storm, but i cant dry a pair of waders in the laundry room?

14. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Rods are pretty easy. I have a master box with leaders, flies, slip shot Ect. Then I have a box for each species. Then I have a corresponding waist pack, sling pack or backpack that those items go in. It takes twice a year to re- organize them all. Oh this doesn't include all my gear rods Ect.

15. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

Maybe you should add a pair of pants to that inventory...and wear them.:)

16. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

I'll stick with hiding in the shop

17. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    I use the dispersal method so that if a thief breaks in, he will be unlikely to get all of it at once. I cleverly and strategically place items all over the house so that a thief would really have to work at gathering everything up. There are rods in a closet as well as 5 corners in 3 rooms and the dining room table, fly boxes are hidden throughout 6 rooms, waders in different 4 rooms...you get the picture. You couldn't tell by looking at it all, but it is tough to maintain this level of strategic organization as it must look like disorganization at all times to throw off the thieves. It will be worth the effort though if I ever have a break-in, LOL.

18. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

I love this idea, I wonder if the wife would kill me for using this same system to protect my gear.....I must think on this lol.

19. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    As I was searching for storage ideas I stumbled across this thread and I found myself anticipating more and more Mumbles, sorry, Ed Call's response given his notorious reputation as a gear whore.... only to be disappointed by his conspicuous absence :D

20. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    If you have too much stuff, give some of it away.