Orvis Carp Tournament

Discussion in 'Events' started by miyawaki, Jul 6, 2012.

1. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Carpocalypse Carp Tournament, Banks Lake, Aug 11-12. Call Orvis Bellevue, 425-452-9138 for entry info. Carpocalypse-flier-portland.jpg

1. We are fly fishing so all fish must be caught on flies. No bait, no scent. Just fur, feather, and synthetics tied to a hook.
    2. We are all sportsman not snaggers so fish must be hooked in the mouth.
    3. It’s a Carp tournament so only Carp count.
    4. Saturday check in times are 6am and 5pm Sunday check in times are 6am and 3pm, as long as you are there for the check in you may fish any water that you want; drive 5 minutes or 5 hours it doesn’t matter to us as long as you are at the check in on time.
    5. All prizes are awarded based on photographic proof. And decided by a panel of three impartial judges provided by the Native Fish Society. We don’t want anyone bringing dead Carp back to the weigh in unless you plan on eating them at the tailgate party (and then you wont probably have many friends lining up to sample your culinary skills)
    6. In case of a tie in any of the categories the winner will be decided by coin toss. If it is a tie for first place the loser of the coin toss will be awarded the second place prize. If there is a tie for second place then the winner of the coin toss will receive the prize the loser is out.
    1. Go fish, have fun, be cool. This tournament is all about having fun and helping our native fish runs. We will kick you out if you don’t follow the rules!

The event will be held at North Dam Park located on highway 155 just west of the 155/170 intersection.

Food at the event is bring your own with a tailgate party so bring your best skills and hang out. Ninkasi brewing is donating some tasty beer and a server for the event.

There will be individual first and second place prizes for the ugliest Carp, the smallest Carp, and the largest Carp. There will also be a team prize for longest total accumulated length of the team’s five largest fish.

We ask that participants bring in an entry form to the store to make the $25.00 donation and sign up, all donations will go to the Native Fish Society.

The morning of the 11th we will be ready to sign people up at the park at 6am. Everyone must hang out until 7am when the fishing will officially start. Contestants are allowed to fish anywhere they want as long as they are checked back in at 5pm. Anyone not checked in by the 5pm afternoon deadline will not be able to enter fish caught that day into the contest. The rules on Sunday are the same only the times are 6am check in, 7am released to fish, 3pm afternoon check in.

Judging and awards will be after the 3pm afternoon check in the second day and all results will be cumulative from the two days. The judging will be done by a panel of three people provided by the Native Fish Society.

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

This sounds awesome. I wish I had those days to fish. Good luck all!

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

How far the mighty have fallen.....:)

Actually, it sounds fun and different. I'll be on the other coast, but it should be a fun event for a good cause.

Steve

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

The location should be "....just west of the 155/174 intersection". For those who don't know where the park is.

5. ribka

ribka Active Member

try and make it. Hope water clarity will by good.

6. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Give me a call 425-452-9138 and we'll get you registered

Leland.

7. ribka

ribka Active Member

Ok Leland. Thanks

8. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

To far for me, wish this was closer to home. Maybe tigard Orvis can duplicate a tourny closer to us.

9. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Actually, this is Tigards event and we chose to have ir up here.

Leland

10. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Wow! That sounds like fun. I'm envious. If we had something like that going on down here, I'd be all over it.

11. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Thought I would post this again now that we have the prizes worked out:

Carp tournament Rules

1. We are fly fishing so all fish must be caught on flies. No bait, no scent. Just fur, feather, and synthetics tied to a hook.
    2. We are all sportsman not snaggers so fish must be hooked in the mouth.
    3. It is a Carp tournament so only Carp count.
    4. Saturday check in times are 6am and 5pm. Sunday check in times are 6am and 3pm. As long as you are there for the check in you may fish any water that you want; drive 5 minutes or 5 hours it doesn’t matter to us as long as you are at the check in on time.
    5. All prizes are awarded based on photographic proof on the provided official measuring device and decided by a panel of three impartial judges provided by the Native Fish Society. We don’t want anyone bringing dead Carp back to the weigh in unless you plan on eating them at the tailgate party (and then you won’t probably have many friends lining up to sample your culinary skills).
    6. There are prizes for first and second place in each category in case of a tie in any of the categories the winner will be decided by coin toss. If it is a tie for first place the loser of the coin toss will be awarded the second place prize. If there is a tie for second place then the winner of the coin toss will receive the prize the loser is out.
    1. Go fish, have fun, be cool. This tournament is all about having fun and helping our native fish runs. We will kick you out if you don’t follow the rules!

The event will be held at North Dam Park located between Electric City and Grand Coulee Washington on highway 155 just west of the 155/174 intersection. North Dam Park is located right at the end of Banks Lake. Banks lake was chosen as a spot to host the first Carp-ocalypse tournament due to the fact that it is located in an area that has consistently warm temperatures, clear water, plenty of room to spread out, and most importantly plenty of Carp. Boats are allowed in the tournament but not at all necessary as there is lots of bank access to flats full of hungry Carp. There is also a number of other waters close by that offer the angler who is willing to drive a bit plenty of great Carping.

There are plenty places to stay for the anglers traveling to the event with options ranging from a campsite at a local spot like Sunbanks Resort http://www.sunbanksresort.com or Steamboat Rock State Park http://www.stateparks.com/steamboat_rock.html to lodging in the cities of Grand Coulee and Electric City.

Food for the event is bring your own with a tailgate party so bring your best skills and hang out. Ninkasi brewing is donating some tasty beer and a server for the event.

There will be individual first and second place prizes for the ugliest Carp, the smallest Carp, and the largest Carp. There will also be a single team prize for longest total accumulated length of the team’s five largest fish.

Smallest Carp- First Prize 9 foot 8wt Helios rod
    Second Prize 9 foot 8 weight Access rod

Ugliest Carp- First Prize IV Hydros Large Arbor reel
    Second Prize IV Access Mid Arbor reel

Team Prize- Guided Oregon Coast Steelhead trip for 4 with Castaway Guide Service

None of these Prizes are redeemable for cash.

We ask that participants bring in an entry form to the store to make the $25.00 donation and sign up, all donations will go to the Native Fish Society.

The morning of the 11th we will be ready to check people in at the park at 6am. Each participant will be provided an official Carp-ocalypse measuring device when signing in. Everyone must remain at the sign in spot until 7am when the fishing will officially start. Contestants are allowed to fish anywhere they want as long as they are checked back in at 5pm, anyone not checked in by the 5pm afternoon deadline will not be able to enter fish caught that day into the contest. The rules on Sunday are the same only the times are 6am check in, 7am released to fish, 3pm afternoon check in.

Judging and awards will be after the 3pm afternoon check in the second day and all results will be cumulative from the two days. The judging will be done by a panel of three people provided by the Native Fish Society.

To register, call me at the shop 425-452-9138

Leland.

12. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Best of luck to all of the lucky anglers attending Carp-Alicious. Sorry that I won't be there as a family wedding trumped the day. I hope you all have a great time.