Orvis excited about stimulus package!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Hem, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    You have choices; don't buy it. :beathead:

Folks said similar things 12 years ago or so when SP's came out qnd they were $500 or $600 then.

We all pay $$ for certain items important to us that others can't understand why we're paying that much for them . . .
  2. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +214 / 1
    Personally, I would not be caught dead fishing with a rod that did not cost at least $2500. They go so much better with my tweed jacket, leather sachel and briar pipe! I tried to fish a $1000 rod one time but just could not throw a quality loop.
    bitterroot
  3. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +879 / 1
    Just a short word on the Helios rod.

A couple years ago, Orvis got their hands on the latest state-of-the-art graphite composite material and coupled it with their proprietary thermoplastic resins and made the world's lightest flyrods. They are lighter than Z-Axis or any other rod. The new 6' 2wt. Helios Ion only weighs 7/8 oz. Each rod is made in our rod shop in Manchester, Vt. Each and every rod is tested (that is EVERY rod, not the batches) before it is put in a tube and shipped.

Leland.
  4. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Yeah, pretty funny stuff. What I find to be the most ironic is the way some people immediately get all pissy in their attempt to accuse the original poster of being all................you guessed it, pissy.
  5. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I just bought a FLi 4pc., 5 wt for $170. on close out, About half off. And also made in the USA. I find that most gear can be had at a discount if you just look around a little.
    Frank.
  6. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
  7. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
  8. I bought the 8025 rod from a forum member here last summer, nice rod for the grand I paid for it. Barring any unfortunate accidents or fires, should be here long after me. Would I do it again? Yes, nice stuff is well nice. Personally wouldn't buy an 800 dollar graphite rod but those helios are really nice and for a grand with all the rest of the stuff it's a pretty good deal on something thats on the edge. To each his own. I have old cheap rods that I still fish with and like and they still catch just as many fish as the expensive rods do. Fly fishing can get to be an expensive endeavor after you've been doing it for years, if every one adds up all the rods and reels, fly tying stuff and everything else they ever boughten for the sport it'd be an pretty impressive pile of cash.
  9. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,680 / 0
    The thing I like about high end graphite rods becomming ever more expensive is that, while maybe not the upper end shown in Kerry's link, good bamboo rods keep looking like a better fishing investment all the time.

Sg
  10. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    I'm retired....but I'd go back to work if I could have THAT job.
  11. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
  12. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Buck,
    I went all the way to Georgia cuz I couldn't find anything around here. There are several places east of the Mississippi and I've since heard of a couple in Oregon, however, you will find that the price for some of these classes can get utterly ridiculous, i.e. $3000 to get a finished blank and another $3000 to complete the rod. Oysters class is top notch (just look at his own rods) and he probably should be charging a lot more than he is. The last time I talked to Bill he was building a new house and hoped to have individual cabins for students to stay in while there. His wife provides 3 meals a day and that is included in the cost, and you end up with a COMPLETED rod. I called it a vacation and you get to fish with Bill at the end of the class. Well worth it!
  13. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +879 / 1
    I've been test fishing the new Helios switch rods in 6, 7 and 8wts. Talk about fishing light two-handers all day cast after cast. . .

Leland.
  14. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    Sure....go ahead...rub it in Leland. bawling:
  15. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    There are many good bamboo rod makers around this area. There are also many bamboo rod owners/collectors on the board with far more knowledge on boo than I. Perhaps one of them will chime in with some information for you on bamboo rod builders in the area.
  16. trevally New Member

Hickory, North Carolina
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Arent those nice, Leland? I have been using the 6 and 7 wts. and they are great.

17. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    KerryS,
    You are correct. There are a lot of good, even great, bamboo rod makers in this area, however, not many that offer classes in the craft. There is a bamboo rod makers gathering in Metolius, OR., but I think it only happens every other year...correct me if I'm wrong. That is the only bamboo conclave that I am aware of in the whole western US. If someone has info that I am not aware of I hope you chime in.
  18. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Kent Lufkin (sp) might have some info on that. He seems to know a lot about bamboo rods. I'd like to just cast one, I might not even like the action, don't know. Although if experience has taught me one thing, that would be, if it's expensive, and I can't afford it, I like it. :)
    Frank.
  19. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    I picked up two bamboo rods at an antique shop. I knew nothing about them but my request for info from fishdontcare was answered and he recommended a low offer and the shop owner took the offer.
  20. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Buck,
    Oh man ya gotta try casting bamboo! My serious fishing started out using graphite and I fished that way for many years. Once I discovered bamboo I sold every graphite rod I had. (I'm not a complete bamboo snob...I also love fiberglass). Now, all graphite rods seem way too stiff, even the softest of them like the Winston WT. With bamboo (and a lot of fiberglass) you can feel the rod load clear down into the grip, it's a more relaxed casting action. I think rod manufacturers are driving folks away from this type of action in a rod by hyping faster, faster, faster rods. Personally, I hate 'em, but it is definitely personal preference. I can't cast as far with glass or bamboo but don't let anyone tell you that the rod is not up to the task. There is a video on Bill Oysters site where he casts over 100 feet with his standard 6wt single handed rod. The reality is, for me, I rarely need to make a cast of more than 40'. I could go on and on...It's personal taste, but you really should give glass and bamboo another look, you might likie what you see.
    As a side note, glass rods are incredibly cheap. Check out the vintage glass market or price out a Lamiglas fiberglass blank. Where you may spend 300+ for a graphite blank you can get a glass blank for about $65. Think of all the rods you could have!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.