Orvis Rocky Mountain reel?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaari White, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Does anyone have experience with Orvis Rocky Mountain reels? $80 for a large arbor is perfect for me and extra spools(cassettes) are only $15. It's sounds too good to be ture!
  2. Greg Moore New Member

Ellicott City (Baltimore), Md.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    While I don't have the "Rocky Mountain" reel, I do have 4 Orvis "Battenkill" reels of various sizes (2 size 3-4; 1 size 5-6 and 1 size 8-9) and I've never had any problems with them. Orvis is a great company to deal should you have any questions or concerns with any of their equipment. I've thought about getting a large arbor reel but the more I think about it I can't come up with a reason that I actually need one (it's a want more than a need thing). Good luck!

Greg :THUMBSUP
  3. DEREK New Member

Olympia, WA.
    Rocky Mountain reels are an excellent buy. My wife hasn't had any problems with hers. I have worked at an orvis shop and we sold a ton of them. Also, if you ever do have any problems they will fix it, no charge. We had a guy that had smashed his reel into pieces to get the line off, walked in with a bag of reel bits, and orvis replaced it. I have lost parts on my odyssey and they have replaced them no charge.
  4. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Buy it, for all of those reasons mentioned. I have a cassette reel, and I don't know why more people don't use them. Not only are they cheaper than a spool, they don't have handles sticking out and are therefore easier to pack around.

And, Orvis customer service is the best, but hopefully you'll never need to find that out. :HAPPY
  5. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Thanks guys! You're the best :COOK
  6. Piscator New Member

Ellensburg, WA, USA.
    I fished one for two years before it got stolen. I loved it. No problems at all. The ability to change lines quickly is great.
    Get one.

Go Wildcats

Fish on!
    Len