Orvis Rocky Mountain reel?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaari White, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Does anyone have experience with Orvis Rocky Mountain reels? $80 for a large arbor is perfect for me and extra spools(cassettes) are only $15. It's sounds too good to be ture!

2. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

While I don't have the "Rocky Mountain" reel, I do have 4 Orvis "Battenkill" reels of various sizes (2 size 3-4; 1 size 5-6 and 1 size 8-9) and I've never had any problems with them. Orvis is a great company to deal should you have any questions or concerns with any of their equipment. I've thought about getting a large arbor reel but the more I think about it I can't come up with a reason that I actually need one (it's a want more than a need thing). Good luck!

Greg :THUMBSUP

3. DEREK

DEREK New Member

Rocky Mountain reels are an excellent buy. My wife hasn't had any problems with hers. I have worked at an orvis shop and we sold a ton of them. Also, if you ever do have any problems they will fix it, no charge. We had a guy that had smashed his reel into pieces to get the line off, walked in with a bag of reel bits, and orvis replaced it. I have lost parts on my odyssey and they have replaced them no charge.

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

Buy it, for all of those reasons mentioned. I have a cassette reel, and I don't know why more people don't use them. Not only are they cheaper than a spool, they don't have handles sticking out and are therefore easier to pack around.

And, Orvis customer service is the best, but hopefully you'll never need to find that out. :HAPPY

5. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Thanks guys! You're the best :COOK

6. Piscator

Piscator New Member

I fished one for two years before it got stolen. I loved it. No problems at all. The ability to change lines quickly is great.
    Get one.

Go Wildcats

Fish on!
    Len