Orvis Spey Rods?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jason Decker, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am looking at getting a spey rod and I have a nice gift certificate to Orvis. Does anyone have an Orvis Spey Rod? Have any of you cast them / compared to other rods? I am also looking at Loop, CND, Sage, Echo and Redington/ Sage Fli......... Since I have some $$ I was thinking about the Orvis Rods.......

Jason

2. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Hi Jason,

Are you an experienced spey caster or just looking to get a good function multi-use rod for your first?

If the latter, I think Orvis is a great call. They have fine rods (mostly moderate action that i've tried) at very good prices.

From what I've seen, Orvis doesn't have many "fringe" speyrods. The ones I've tested have been 14 or 15' rods for 9 and 10wt lines. So if you're looking for a lighter (or heavier) stick you might be out of luck.

Hey Leland - are you there?? Give us some specs!

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Jason,

I haven't tried a recent Spey rod from Orvis. Their earlier models were not among the better rods available. Their current line up might be as good as any others. I have tried good rods from Loop, CND, Sage, Winston, and Loomis. I liked the CND, Sage, and Winston best.

The one thing I'd suggest is to avoid that basic "all around" model that seems to be 14 or 15' for 9 or 10 weight lines. I have a Sage 9140-4 that is a very good casting rod. However, I always feel over gunned with it unless I'm hooking steelhead 15 pounds and up. Unfortunately, the vast majority of steelhead I hook are less than 15 pounds, and often under 10 pounds. I feel better casting and playing fish on a 7 or 8 weight Spey rod of 12 or 13' length, even though I cannot cast it as far. And I don't mind at all playing the occasional large fish with a lighter rod. I've caught steelhead over 20 pounds on a single handed 8 wt. rod with no problems.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

4. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have a few different rods and I like all of them. But for my money you can't go wrong with a Sage: 14' nine weight, 4 piece, in the "Traditional Action", for a beginner especially. A very forgiving rod to learn on.

And even if you climb into the stratosphere of Skagit Casting and European Style shooting head casting, underhand etc- you will always have that great old Sage rod to enjoy as well. I will never sell mine.

I have tried most of them and I have to say that I do love the Sage Fly Rods.