Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osama Bin Laden is Dead!

17K views 196 replies 57 participants last post by  Chris Scoones 
#1 ·
That's the latest breaking news folks.

#89 ·
Coulee1 - where did I say I was in favor of stifling dissent? I'm all in favor of dissent and exercised my right to dissent quite frequenly during the GWB years. But I'm one of those hopelessly naïve people that believe there are some moments in history during which all of us should be able to set aside our political differences and celebrate or, for darker moments, just contemplate. You know, like when GWB stood on the smoldering embers of the WTC with the bull horn and provided words of encouragement and resolve? I didn't vote for the guy and I didn't ever like him, but that seemed like one situation where we ought to leave the political bullshit aside for a while and honor the moment. I know at the time there were probably diehard partisans (like you, Philster, Silverbullet32 and FlyfishnFool have been today) that took shots at him shortly after that moment, which was their right (and your right) under the First Amendment. I guess I'm just saying we could use a little more political maturity in this country. (Like I said, it bothered me that on CNN last night some Democratic congressman used the occasion to take a shot at George Bush.) I feel like focusing so much vitriol on the guy who is in the oval office just because he said he reviewed the intelligence and gave the orders authorizing the operation (all of which I presume is factually accurate) dishonors the moment - not to mention the efforts and sacrifices of the people, none of whom probably thought one second about who was giving those orders, who actually put their lives on the line to plan and carry it out. Anyway, I'm done. I should have learned a long time ago not to get involved in political discussions on a flyfishing web site. Been there, done that, didn't work out so well. God Bless America.

#90 ·
i8abug, I appreciate your priorities - I do.. but I gotta say, "We're getting taken for a ride."

The AP had to retract the photo of OBL sans "double tap to the face", as it was photoshopped:

And if anybody bothers to scour the VT link provided upthread, there are mountains of evidence that OBL died almost 10 years ago, for that matter.

OBL = boogeyman to cover the acts of the perps/justify police-state Amerikka, among many other things.

Obediently swallowing government and mainstream media lies/obfuscations has proven a monumental waste of prescious human lives.

Food for thought while we "go along to 'get along'".

#106 ·
"""
i8abug, I appreciate your priorities - I do.. but I gotta say, "We're getting taken for a ride."

And if anybody bothers to scour the VT link provided upthread, there are mountains of evidence that OBL died almost 10 years ago, for that matter.

OBL = boogeyman to cover the acts of the perps/justify police-state Amerikka, among many other things."""

The same "mountains of evidence" that the moon landings were faked, Obama wasn't born in Hawaii, Elvis is still alive, Paul is dead, Kennedy was shot from 2 different angles. on and on and on it goes. All the way back to the Dark Ages and the Rosacrucians.

I agree its time to end this thread and go fishing. Anyone have much luck on Saturday at the lowland lakes?

#91 ·
Thank God for rendition, Gitmo and enhanced interogation techniques. KSM sang like a canary after they were used on him. Never would have found OBL without these valuable tools in the fight against the bad guys.

The SEALS took a lot of hard drives, docs and other intell from the compound after they left. Many people(bad guys) around the world will be sleeping with one eye open.

Incredible amount of intell work and planning went into this. Great group effort military, CIA and NSA.

Let's use the same ingenuity and hard work to get this great country back on track and once again prosperous.

#92 ·
O mykiss, I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your thrust. These are indeed emotionally charged times we're living in. Again, I apologize.

I am all for setting politics aside as I see the whole dog n' pony show as a running distraction to keep folks from dealing in terms of the realities we all face. The politics as exacerbated by the mainstream media all too often prevents folks from getting all the facts they need to achieve a mature, informed assessment of "what we all face" actually IS. I think we all may benefit from putting in a little legwork to glean information which is being severely suppressed. It's a jungle out there to be sure. But I'm confident my fellow, albeit well divided (enter the dog and pony show), Americans can sift the wheat from the chaff if only they can plug alllll the factors into the equation: What gives?

Best.

#127 ·
WTF???? OK, in one sentence [or less] please tell us what you are talking about? You keep tossing out one quote after another...none of which are original thoughts... and all it shows is your extreme dislike [hatred and veiled racism] of our President. You are not the only one who can't hide that hatred and rascist views in their repeated post, they just do it far more eloquently than you. I'm really not picking on you as such, but go back on your repeated one line posts and you'll see why most people would think they are direct quotes from a backwoods militia group...tell me I'm wrong. Those of you who closely resemble what I am referring to should be ashamed of yourselves, even if you are a rascist, keep it to yourselves. You have turned what should be a really good[great?] story and used it as a soapbox for your anger and hatred and not so veiled rascist views against Obama...shame on you. OK, that is my one and only post, so have at it....try not to fill up my box with your hate mail!! I will post the best ones with no editorial retorts!!

#96 ·
Yeh fitting that he condemned the techinques ( "torture" in Barry's lingo) used by the previous administration to get the valuable information which led to OBL. And yet he takes the credit for it now like a true POS politician.

Yeh and the brave men in the intell communities and the military had nothing to do with this. It was all Barry's hard work on the golf course and basket ball court that enabled this mission to succeed.

Going to a funeral this weekend for a boy that was just killed in Afghanistan by an IED.

I thought Barry promised to end the wars; instead the man of peace Barry just started a new one.

#98 ·
o mykiss
I wrote my thread without having heard the latest news of helo's crashing on the compound, photos of Barrack and his cabinet, pictures of the downed helo. Bottom line, Barrack made a great decision. No time for politics. I agree. But most importantly, I can't say how impressed I am with the Seal Team. What a proud moment and that is where we should focus. I couldn't have said it better than you said it above.
The 40 Seals are instant heroes.
This is a time to feel proud about what we can accomplish when we really set our minds to it. Obviously much credit must go to the military and intelligence personnel who actually planned and carried this out, but it is partly the fruit of the labors of two different administrations from opposite ends of the political spectrum over the course of a decade. Well said.
Not a Barrack hater. I am just a realist and try to keep my mind open.

#104 ·
I appreciate the perspective of the collective. I do not always say the right things, think the right thoughts or agree with the masses. I am glad that the face of terrorism in my lifetime has met his premature demise. I'm glad that those serving in the U. S. Armed Forces accelerated that demise. For those with whom I served, thank you. For those that served before me, thank you. For those that serve still, thank you. Your dedication to the principles which make our nation great means a great deal to me, my wife and our two young daughters.

To the Al-Qaeda forces and/or Taliban...who's next? I hear the U. S. Navy Seals are ready for their next gig, the other U. S. Special Forces units are primed and ready to take their shot too.

#109 ·
I never got a DNA test on my "father". Maybe my whole life has been a lie. No one says you have to ever trush another person for any reason. I think many of us know what it is like to sleep easy knowing that out there, somewhere, someone is far from their loved ones standing the watch so that we can sleep in peace. You likely will never know who that is.

One of the young sailors I had the honor of working with and training came to the microphone when I retired. I did not deserve what he read to honor me that day, my career was far too comfortable. His choice still moves me today:

The Watch
For twenty years
This sailor has stood the watch
While some of us were in our bunks at night
This sailor stood the watch

While some of us were in school learning our trade
This shipmate stood the watch

Yes.. even before some of us were born into this world

In those years when the storm clouds of war were seen brewing on the horizon of history

Many times he would cast an eye ashore and see his family standing there
Needing his guidance and help
Needing that hand to hold during those hard times
But he still stood the watch

He stood the watch for twenty years
He stood the watch so that we, our families and
Our fellow countrymen could sleep soundly in safety, Each and every night
Knowing that a sailor stood the watch

Today we are here to say
'Shipmate... the watch stands relieved
Relieved by those You have trained ,Guided, and Lead
Shipmate you stand relieved.. we have the watch..."

"Boatswain..Standby to pipe the side...Shipmate's going Ashore.."

Maybe for the skeptics...you should learn to trust someone and not expect that the world owes you an explanation for every single thing. Rest easy my friends. There are tens of thousands of young Americans out there doing what they do because they are told to do it so that you and I can continue to question our government and criticize everthing that we do not fully understand.

#111 ·
Hey all,

Can I share a bit of my perspective without getting flamed too much? I find it hard to celebrate the killing of anyone. By no means am I a pacifist or anything like that, and I do believe OBL got what he deserved in the end, but this big party type atmosphere has struck a chord in me that just feels wrong. this whole thing reminded me of a quote that I read from MLK a while back and I thought I would share it.

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral,
begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy.
Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it.
Through violence you may murder the liar,
but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth.
Through violence you may murder the hater,
but you do not murder hate.
In fact, violence merely increases hate.
So it goes.
Returning violence for violence multiplies violence,
adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

G
#124 ·
Osama Dead? Good for him. Imagine hold up- hiding in a 7-11 for that long. Shit the nacho's, hot dogs and Slurpee? I guess its not that bad? Besides where can you find the latest issue of HighTimes or Lowrider? Hey at least the beer is always cold.

#129 ·
Sportsman...

"OK, in one sentence [or less] please tell us what you are talking about?"

Written in plain English. I'm sure anyone can read it and think about it if they want to.

"You keep tossing out one quote after another...none of which are original thoughts..."

No, those are not my original thoughts but does that mean they aren't worth considering?

"and all it shows is your extreme dislike [hatred and veiled racism] of our President"

Really? Disagreeing with policies and actions of an administration is "hatred and veiled racism"? What does Obama's race have to do with the policies and actions of the administration? How is disagreement "hate" of a person???

"go back on your repeated one line posts and you'll see why most people would think they are direct quotes from a backwoods militia group..."

Most people who swallow liberal indoctrination without thinking for themselves WOULD agree with what amounts to blatant SLANDER.

"You have turned what should be a really good[great?] story and used it as a soapbox for your anger and hatred and not so veiled rascist views against Obama...shame on you."

It would be a really great story if everything we were being told was true. I seriously question that it is. And that's now "anger", "hatred" and "not so veiled racist views against Obama"???

What I see a lot of people suggesting is that we stop thinking, stop questioning anything, and just go along, lest the SLANDERS come out.

"Sportsman", you're not much of a "sport". It is you who cannot hide your veiled hatred for anything that contradicts the party line you obviously hold so dear.

#131 ·
OK, so I lied about only one post!! But we need a litle help from the dictionary:slan·der/ˈslandər/
Noun: The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.
Verb: Make false and damaging statements about (someone). QUOTE:" Most people who swallow liberal indoctrination without thinking for themselves WOULD agree with what amounts to blatant SLANDER"! QUOTE:"What I see a lot of people suggesting is that we stop thinking, stop questioning anything, and just go along, lest the SLANDERS come out". ?? Are we using "SLANDERS" as a pronoun or as in the second person?? That was a really long sentence you posted and it is now even more confusing, because your catch phrases are being used in the wrong context!! Youc QUOTE:"Sportsman", you're not much of a "sport". I am being a great sport! That's why I will keep playing as long as your going to keep going backwards trying to make some kind of point. You can't quote the "Party Doctrine" verbatim, you need to rearrange the paragraphs to make some type of intelligent response.

#135 ·
Wow loooks like washington "the state", has some real sensitive types tacking offence to everything. So sportsman tell me this If I dont agree with Barack Obama, I am a racist?? but what if I disagree with him and I am not white therefore can not be racist? what am I ? This is all hypothetical of course cause I would never slander the king hussien.

#148 ·
Thank you for that, Mike. It's beautiful, and perfectly illustrates the dichotomy that I feel - the deep satisfaction that an evil man has been removed from this world, and the echoing void of sadness so eloquently expressed by Dr. Martin Luther King (excerpt from Eric Tarcha's earlier post): "Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars".

But. OBL had it coming. He would have killed you, your mother, your daughter, my daughter, my father, my wife. He would have killed KerryS and Mumbles and Troutramp and the rest of us all without care, just as he killed those many thousands on September 11th, 2001.

Sometimes there are no easy answers and we carry on. God bless the men and women who lead and serve this country, who bear the burden of difficult questions and unspeakable answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.