Osama Bin Laden is Dead!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +431 / 0
    Hey Kerry, just so you know....I meant no disrespect. Like someone else said, these are emotionally charged times.
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,671 / 2
    Oh for fucks sake...
  3. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    And perhaps that retaliation will turn out like Midway after the Doolittle Raid.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,466 / 9
    I appreciate the perspective of the collective. I do not always say the right things, think the right thoughts or agree with the masses. I am glad that the face of terrorism in my lifetime has met his premature demise. I'm glad that those serving in the U. S. Armed Forces accelerated that demise. For those with whom I served, thank you. For those that served before me, thank you. For those that serve still, thank you. Your dedication to the principles which make our nation great means a great deal to me, my wife and our two young daughters.

To the Al-Qaeda forces and/or Taliban...who's next? I hear the U. S. Navy Seals are ready for their next gig, the other U. S. Special Forces units are primed and ready to take their shot too.
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Not to sound like a tinfoil hat wearing weirdo... But this whole "no pictures, no video, and immediate burial at sea" thing leaves me with a bit of skepticism.
  6. John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    """
  7. Kaiserman content

You and the rest of the world. The biggest man hunt known to the world, done and over with in less than 24 hrs. No need for skepticism right? :hmmm:
  8. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    The burial at sea part especially. "Oh we respected the Muslim burial within 24 hours of death thing". But then they got the muslims and celtic vikings confused and dumped his ass in the Ocean?:rofl:
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,466 / 9
    I never got a DNA test on my "father". Maybe my whole life has been a lie. No one says you have to ever trush another person for any reason. I think many of us know what it is like to sleep easy knowing that out there, somewhere, someone is far from their loved ones standing the watch so that we can sleep in peace. You likely will never know who that is.

One of the young sailors I had the honor of working with and training came to the microphone when I retired. I did not deserve what he read to honor me that day, my career was far too comfortable. His choice still moves me today:

The Watch
    For twenty years
    This sailor has stood the watch
    While some of us were in our bunks at night
    This sailor stood the watch

While some of us were in school learning our trade
    This shipmate stood the watch

Yes.. even before some of us were born into this world

In those years when the storm clouds of war were seen brewing on the horizon of history

Many times he would cast an eye ashore and see his family standing there
    Needing his guidance and help
    Needing that hand to hold during those hard times
    But he still stood the watch

He stood the watch for twenty years
    He stood the watch so that we, our families and
    Our fellow countrymen could sleep soundly in safety, Each and every night
    Knowing that a sailor stood the watch

Today we are here to say
    'Shipmate... the watch stands relieved
    Relieved by those You have trained ,Guided, and Lead
    Shipmate you stand relieved.. we have the watch..."

"Boatswain..Standby to pipe the side...Shipmate's going Ashore.."

Maybe for the skeptics...you should learn to trust someone and not expect that the world owes you an explanation for every single thing. Rest easy my friends. There are tens of thousands of young Americans out there doing what they do because they are told to do it so that you and I can continue to question our government and criticize everthing that we do not fully understand.
  10. Kaiserman content

What I don't understand is why respect the Muslim religion when most Muslims hated the man? He twisted their religion, and so we respected a twisted one? Isn't that a slap in the face to the Muslims?
  11. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Hey all,

Can I share a bit of my perspective without getting flamed too much? I find it hard to celebrate the killing of anyone. By no means am I a pacifist or anything like that, and I do believe OBL got what he deserved in the end, but this big party type atmosphere has struck a chord in me that just feels wrong. this whole thing reminded me of a quote that I read from MLK a while back and I thought I would share it.

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral,
    begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy.
    Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it.
    Through violence you may murder the liar,
    but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth.
    Through violence you may murder the hater,
    but you do not murder hate.
    In fact, violence merely increases hate.
    So it goes.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence,
    adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
    only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
  12. Philster New Member

13. Philster New Member

Wasn't that the dude who wasn't violent but got shot anyway? Just sayin'
  14. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I talked this over with my history teacher. He brought up a good point. So many people had already known where his body was. If they tried to bring it back wherever they wanted to, someone would leak the info out. But hey, you never know. Atleast the sea animals will have a small meal.
  15. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Thank you Eric, he was a great man!
  16. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +217 / 0
    Dancing around a corpse (I'm being figurative here) demeans us, and elevates the status of the dead. I refuse to dignify that murderer, give him any more publicity, or to enhance his martyr's image among his followers. His value to international terrorism was primarily as a charismatic figurehead.

When I shoot a chicken killing possum, I just throw it to the crows, and forget it.
  17. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +551 / 0
    We have a winner. I wish I could have stated it that well. I'm pleased that he has been eliminated but the party just does not seem right.

cds
  18. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Yeah, it may make me look like a nutjob, but I'm jumping ship. I'm just not buying it. I think he's dead, but I don't think it happened any time recently.
  19. Philster New Member

It's a great sentiment but it's meaningless unless at least the majority of the population believes and lives by it. South Africa? Mandela went to jail as a terrorist for transporting explosives if I remember accurately. How did things change in South Africa (by no means perfect there)? Peaceful resistance. In the former Soviet block in areas where things are peaceful how did they change? Peaceful resistance. I don't see any sign of a Peaceful resistance movement in the middle east. Until there is I'm sticking with Seal Team Six, and the Millions of American personnel and Police. I love the "coexist" bumper stickers. It's like Sesame Street. It seems at least right now "One of these things doesn't belong".
  20. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    Personally I think they should have said screw tradition and paraded his dead ass down Wall Street.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.