Other Glass and Bamboo Forums and Websites

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Lugan, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    Hey guys - In case you don't know, there are other communities and resources on the interwebz related to soft sticks:

Clark's bamboo forum is the best repository of cane rod knowledge on earth, though it can get a bit stuffy and snooty at times: http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Fiberglass Flyrodders has a concentration of topics and expertise that is unparalleled on glass rods. They're also the most intelligent and civilized forum on the 'net IMO: http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/directory

Be sure to check out FFR's wiki, which includes a catalog of current and classic glass rod manufacturers with some good detail on how rods perform and their history (in case, for example, you're eyeing one on Ebay): http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/2692

Cameron Mortenson (a FFR regular) also has an informative blog called The Fiberglass Manifesto. A blog on glass rods may seem limiting as far as number and depth of topics, but somehow Cameron manages to offer great info about rods and other topics with regular updates, so it's worth including on this list: http://www.thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/
  2. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

3. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    Cameron is a great guy for sure and the Fiberglass Manifesto is pretty cool...I've bought a bunch of stickers from him!
    Fiberglass Fly Rodders is also awesome but very, uhhhhhh, slow. Just not much activity.
    Clarks's classic fly rod forum is a great resource and I spend a lot of time there in the rod making section, however, I have a problem with the snobbish attitude of many of the members who, I'm convinced, are nothing but high end collectors and probably never fish at all.

I'm hoping to spend more time right here...in the bamboo & fiberglass section of WFF! I hope interest in this area grows and we can turn this into a hot topic with a lot of activity! :thumb:
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +657 / 5
    Lonnie I had same problem. I love cast iron and waanted more info. I think they were more into collecting and history then actually using them.
  5. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Another hand clap for Cameron and the guys at Fiberglass and the Manifesto. I know Cameron and a few others and had the pleasure to drown flies with them. That is when I learned I have a good spey swing...
    I fish both E and S glass and have several. Even half and Halfs. Plus I have a few NEWER light bamboo and a couple of Whites.
    I now build my own and love every minute of it. I like the Lamiglass, the Steffens, the McFarlands and the T.L. Johnson.
    All for new forums on this though.....
  6. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Howdy there flygoddess...hows the fishing in your neck of the woods?
  7. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Hey Scott. It is just starting! Love the colder weather. Hitting Strawberry tomorrow in the new Renegades.
  8. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    Yeah, the Clarks bamboo site can seem a litte "uppity" at times, but I've learned an awful lot there about classic reels, bamboo rods and the history and traditions behind this activity that all of us love so much. A lot of really nice, knowledgeable people there and a degree of respect for one another is shown (usually) on that forum that I find welcoming (not to say we don't have that here!). All of my questions (even the stupid ones) were always answered thoroughly.
    Hope we can keep this new addition to the forum going on this site as well.
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +657 / 5
    I was going to add. Cam is a great guy. We've chatted at length. Keep missing him, he was here during our Hoh Down. But was on a family trip. May have been bad to go. LOL.
  10. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Here is Cam on the Provo

[IMG]

I figure he was doing the Babe Ruth cast....LOL