Other than WA.....

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by FlyFshn'Fool, Oct 22, 2011.

?

What state has the best combination of hunting and fishing?

WA 3 vote(s) 9.7%
OR 3 vote(s) 9.7%
IA 8 vote(s) 25.8%
MT 17 vote(s) 54.8%
  1. FlyFshn'Fool Member

Where there's water!
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    What western or PNW state has the best combination of fly fishing variety and hunting variety?

I'll say WA is pretty hard to beat as there is the coast, the anadromous fish, the resident stream fish, the Bass, the Pike and the Tiger Muskie. Then there is big game hunting and upland as well. It really is a difficult place to beat.

I think OR can hold its own with WA when it comes to this variety and possibly ID. Western Montana has some great hunting as well, but I think it lacks in variety when it comes to fishing. A Trout mecca it is, but lacks in other areas.

Curious what you folks have to say based on your travels and experiences!
  2. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    I'm voting Iowa.
  3. FlyFshn'Fool Member

Where there's water!
    While I appreciate the vote, I really wanted to keep it to the west or PNW.

I am originally from Illinois. I had access to Smallmouth, Largemouth, Pike, Muskie, Salmon, Steelhead, Lake Run Browns, stream Trout, upland birds, waterfowl, Whitetail and Turkey. The fact is, if I ever did go back to the Midwest, it would be northern Wisconsin or NE MN. When comparing the people, the QOL, the surrounding scenery and the outdoor recreation, I will gladly stay west. Some western states may not have the variety of fish species, but the scenery and the hunting blow any Midwest state away.....and this is coming from someone who misses Midwestern farm country and the northwoods!

It took me a while to realize it, but you don't hear folks from the west say I'm going back east to hunt or fish very often. However, many, many folks from the east come west to pursue fishing and hunting opportunities.
  4. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +603 / 0
    Montana . . . I could vote no other way.
  5. FlyFshn'Fool Member

Where there's water!
    If you don't mind, please elaborate. The STRONG pull to WA or OR for me is the Steelhead fishing. From what I gather however, within 3 or 4 hours of Missoula one can find Steel. Although not the same as the chrome fish near the coast!
  6. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +603 / 0
    Surely . . . I grew-up there & Good Lord willing, will return there in a few short years. Great fishing, great hunting of all kinds, fewer people than are typically encountered in WA, and Steel not terribly far away in Idaho. Idaho would be my second choice.
  7. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    Actually, I've never fished Iowa. Only driven through it. But since it was an option I thought I'd pick it :) .

Idaho=ID Iowa=IA

M
  8. FlyFshn'Fool Member

Where there's water!

Yep, my bad! Was suppose to be ID. Oh well! May be the Moose Drool from last night was still affecting me when I started this!
  9. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    Idaho, Nevada or Montana
  10. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    How about Wyoming? Other than the sea run fish, you should be able to find everything else.
    It might be a bit far east for what you are thinking though.
  11. FlyFshn'Fool Member

Where there's water!

Actually, western WY is an option as well, just not as high on the list. For me, they lack Pike (I believe), but I have heard of some BIG Lake Trout to be caught on streamers at certain times of the year. Not a lot of Bass either! Hunters paradise though, including waterfowl!
  12. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    My wifes cousin is known in Pinedale for pulling up some big lakers out of Dworshack. The pictures are crazy!!!
    I would think they would have some pike in the bigger lakes. Mmmmmm... ice fishing in the middle of December.....
    No need to shoot the deer, just set a feeder in your front lawn and keep them as pets. They loved the heated driveways in the winter time!!!
  13. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +233 / 0
    For me it is definitely Montana. Every year for the opening of pheasant season a group of us head to a little town north of Great Falls called Choteau. WE almost always shoot a limit of pheasant plus a number of Huns and Sharptails. There are lots of white tails around, there are antelope and elk as well. After a couple days when the dogs are worn out, we drive the 70 miles to the Missouri, arguably the best 15 miles of trout water in the country. Just can't beat that! Rick
  14. Ryan Ferrill New Member

Wet side of the Gorge, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Idaho... everything is bigger there! I lived in W. Montana for a short while, and would take it over ID... but you're looking for spots with steelhead too!
  15. Benjy Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Iowa for sure.
  16. Marc Stelting Member

NW Wash.
    Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico, Montana. I was born and raised here in Washingotn, then left for a number of years and back again for employment. In those years away from here, it changed... not for the better. Idaho is hard to beat for all-around activities. Aside from steelhead/salmon, Wyoming and New Mexico are outstanding choices, especially for retiring persons due to lower taxation.
  17. Methow Roamer Seeker of the Exotic and Aquatic

Winthrop, WA
    Alaska, or maybe New Jersey.
  18. Tyler Sadowski Member

Kirkland, wa
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    My vote goes for Idaho too.
  19. FlyFshn'Fool Member

Where there's water!
    It has been some time since this post started but not much has changed here. I will say, aside from Steelhead, I am really liking Western Montana and Western Wyoming. From a fishing stand point, Oregon is up there too because of the Smallmouth and Steelhead fishing!
  20. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Actually the Salmon / Steelhead fishing there is second to none as well. The Smallmouth fishing is just epic as well. Silver Bass and the occasional Rainbow and Brown on the Niagara during epic caddis and mayfly hatches that will choke you out. Just no upland birds... The Ruffed Grouse hunting was stellar when I grew up there, and the Pheasant was passable. All the upland has seemed to disappear now though. Deer and Turkey are still great though.