Out and about at a local lake..

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by james.jimenez, Jan 5, 2013.

1. sean_k Active Member

Spanaway Wa.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    15' foot is the deepest that lake gets which is on the south side near the trail that leads up to the housing development.
  2. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,053 / 1
    Is there a reason we are keeping a south year round special regulation lake secret? If so I'll respect it, but I don't think knowledge of the lake will impact the fishery negatively. In fact more fly guys on this lake is good, more knowledge for the beginners and more eyes to watch for poachers. In Winter especially I don't believe that a spot will be crowded out.

Again nice job making it out and finding fish in a short window.
    Bartfly and NWstonefly like this.
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,602 / 0
    It is worth it. The best stillwater fly anglers I know all use fish/depth finders.
  4. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Ratings: +245 / 0
    No I didn't think it would really be a "secret" lake once I post the panoramic picture. LOL I was actually on the lake with three other fisherman that day, one person in a small boat and a bank fisher showed up and quickly left.. Who's all going here this weekend?
  5. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +403 / 0
    My plans for the weekend are highly variable, but I'm going to try to squeeze some fishing it at some point. It may be a small lake in Grays Harbor or Munn, or Puget Sound Beaches or Pass or Lone or.....
  6. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    I've only fishin the sound once.. Took my 5WT out near the Tacoma Narrows area. Not exactly sure of the places name cause Ive only been there once. This weekend, for me, it will just be a trip over to Munn lake. But because of this weather and what's forecasted for tomorrow I may be stuck inside thing flies and hangin with the wife.. Got to get some "Moh Hair" and try tying some of the flies I saw here on another posting. COME ON GOOD WEATHER!!! If I see any of you out there, I will be the one in the blue scadden pontoon..
  7. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    James,

Do you only fish weekends? I used to fish Munn often, but generally on Monday Tuesday or Wednesday as those are my days off...

M
  8. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Yeah weekends are my days off, but I may take leave/vacation soon. After the 18th if I can.
  9. Top in my class Member

washington, Spanaway
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    So are you guys fishing chironomids or what??
  10. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    I was fishing what I think was a red chironomid with a peacock hurl collar. My second fly was a brown soft hair hackle. Both under an indicator..
  11. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
  12. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    I fish chironomids and "other stuff", but Munn is mostly a chironomid lake, especially this time of year.

M
  13. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    I caught one fish on each fly.. This weekend fishing just got a little more interesting. South Pudget Fly Co. Just started another photo contest!!!
  14. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    James, I'll be headed that way tomorrow. Probably hit the lake mid morning and fish until dusk. I'll be in a pontoon style kick boat. Hope to meet you!
  15. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Today I purchased SA unisink 5WT line type II and put in on my Allen 4WT. I will be using it nay on lakes. Anyone have any opinions n my choice of line?
  16. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +973 / 1
    Gary, you might check out James' brown soft hackle if you see him. There is a soft hackle swap going on and both of you are participants.;)
  17. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Yeah I fished with Gary in Saturday.. Froze our butts off at Munn Lake.. I GOT SKUNKED!!! Which is why I went out and bought myself some unisink line..
  18. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +973 / 1
    If the sun was out I'd fish on the surface in the shallower areas. If not I'd use a full sink and dredge with a chunky leech pattern.
  19. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Bill,

We met up and I did look at his tie. I gave him a few tips and directed him to some youtube videos that really helped with my tying. I have faith that he will produce something tasty.

We were socked in with fog until noon, after that it was partly cloudy. I drug some leech patterns low and slow and shallow and everything in between to no action. My only love came on the camo carey.
  20. Bartfly New Member

Washougal, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Jim, I am not the biggest fan of casting indicator rigs, but there are times that they just flat out work. I like to have 3 rods, one for dries, one for indicator, and one for trolling(which I like to do the least). Everyone has their own preference and that's just mine. As far as the fishfinder goes, they can really help at finding channels, dropoffs, and what depth to fish when using and indicator. Hope your arm is healed up by spring. Bart.