Outboard Motor "brands"

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Jim Wallace, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Sometimes things aren't what they seem. I was out in my garage yesterday, contemplating my fly sled project, and I switched on the old analog TV I have hooked up to my FM antenna, and, lo and behold! Maury was on 13 (the only channel my hookup receives clearly). He was interviewing a woman who has had over $500,000 worth of plastic and cosmetic surgery done on her carcass over the years. Whether that money was wisely spent is a matter of opinion, but it got me thinking about what is really underneath the cowling on my new O/B.

Up into 2005, the portable sized Mercurys were manufactured by Yamaha for a while. Then, in 2006, Tohatsu started making the portable sized Mercs. Tohatsu makes the Nissan outboards, also. So now you can buy a Nissan or Merc that is a Tohatsu, or just buy a Tohatsu. They are the same except for the decal/paint/name.
    One of the sales people at the dealer where I bought my motor said he thought mine was a Yamaha, since it was a 2005 model (although brand new....they were pushing these at a discount before they got any older).
    All I can find on my motor is that it was made in Japan. There is no mention of Yamaha or Tohatsu anywhere. Sneaky bastages!

And aren't those Evinrudes really Suzukis?:confused: