Outcast Fat Cat Deluxe or Fish Cat Deluxe

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by kurtataltos, Dec 7, 2013.

1. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    The primary difference appears to be the urethane bladder in the fat cat versus the vinyl bladder in the fish cat. I am 5'11, 180, therefore a larger tube isn't a requirement. The fat cat is bigger by 10" and 2 pounds lighter (I don't backpack anymore). The cost differential appears to be about $130. Is the higher price of the fat cat "worth it"? Opinions and commentary appreciated. Enjoy in good health.
  2. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    Most comfortable float tube I've ever used.
  3. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    The fat cat... or the fish cat... or both... (I'm slow...)
  4. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +105 / 0

Urethane is more durable and less effected by altitude or temp and lighter. But, if you casually use the tube the Vinyl will last several years. Just roll it when you deflate over folding it. For me, bigger is a comfort zone thing, but I started in a donut.
    In answer to your question, no I do not see there being $130 worth of difference.
  5. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    I would go with urethane if you will be using it regularly...the cost difference is probably mostly due to the urethane---the cost difference on a bucks bag replacement bladder is $80 for a pair.
  6. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Inflatable seat on both. I will have to change my answer to Maybe there is a $130. difference.
    Also, don't quote me, but I believe the SFC is ONE bladder and then the inflateable seat. I am not sure if the Fish Cat is two separate bladders, but I think there are.
    Personally, I am not crazy about that valve on the Fish. Both come from China.
  7. Guy Gregory Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    The fat cat is bigger, which means more flotation. I'd like it better over time, and I bet you would, too. Long after that you've forgotten about the 130 bucks.

Made in china, or on mars, it's a great guarantee and outcast stands solidly behind their product.
    Ya can't go wrong.
    Stonefish likes this.
  8. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    Fish Cat Deluxe has two bladders (non-interchangeable left and right) plus inflatable seat back. I've always thought that having two was a good thing in case of blow-out. I think the valve is fine - never had any problems with it.