Outcast Fat Cat float tube

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Olive bugger, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I have decided to purchase a Bucks bags South Fork for lake fishing. I also am looking to pick up a float tube for smaller lakes that I can carry into. I have SETTLED on the Outcast line of Fat Cats. There are two models. One has a foam seat and the other has an inflatable seat. Looking for input on which is better for keeping your butt out of the water, comfort and safety. I also am interested to learn if the sides will fold in on either or both models. I tip the scales at near 200 pounds.

I will need to move on this within the next couple of weeks.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Inflatable let's me ride higher and I found it more comfortable. 225# and no folding or sag when properly inflated.

3. Olive bugger

Thanks Ed. Just what I wanted to know. Now I am wondering if the vinyl bladders are good enough or if I should go with the urethane?

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I've had a TU Gunnison float tube with a cheap vinyl bladder for going on 7 years which I only use on backpacking trips. When not in use (which is most of the time) it's rolled up to about the size of a very small sleeping bag and tossed on a shelf in my unheated garage. Despite my lack of coddling, the vinyl bladder has performed flawlessly and without complaint the entire time. Not bad for an initial price of less than $75.

OTOH, I've also got a Super Fat Cat with the urethane bladder and inflatable seat and back cushions. It's about 5 years old and has likewise never leaked, despite being also folded up and secured with a cam strap most of its life. The SFC had a slow leak right after I bought, which turned out to be from a dirty valve. The folks at Outcast walked me though how to clean the valve, but as a precaution sent me a brand-new replacement bladder for free just in case there was a pinhole leak in the urethane bladder. There wasn't and I've still got the replacement bladder, unused in the box they sent it in.

My point? Outcast has top-quality customer service. Buy the vinyl bladder model Fat Cat and know that if you ever have a problem with it, they'll stand behind their product. That doesn't mean that they'll necessarily send you a free bladder, but I can guarantee their customer service is among the very best in our sport.

K

5. Olive bugger

Thanks Kent. The cost difference is something to consider. I will look at both. Probably be the victim of salesman pitch. :D

Now for the color. Pink or mauve? Oh yeah, they don't come in those colors. ;)

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I've got two SFC's, one the old style with the foam seat and one LCS with the inflatable seat. Both have worked great after many years of service. Neither bladder leaks on either.
    The only issue I've had is the strap that holds the seat back up tore off the tube side. Outcast replaced the entire skin no questions asked.
    As far as seats, I'm probably in the minority on this but I like the foam seat better.
    In regards to value, these have been some of the best flyfishing equipment I've used.

7. Olive bugger

Some have stated that the foam seat was hard. I do have a tender
    butt. :D That said, I wonder how hard it is and if it would draw water into the foam. I have heard that claim made also, but I have never seen closed cell foam draw water.

I think I will just go with the inflatable seat and see which model I want to choose for the bladders.

8. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    I have no experience with the foam seat, but damn that inflatable seat sure squeaks a lot. The cushions seem to rub against the tubes whenever I kick or change position. Sounds carries very well underwater and I just know those fish hear every move I make!

K

Ron McNeal likes this.
  9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Never had any issue with the foam filling up with water. If you go with the foam seat, you can alway put a small seat cushion on top of it. I never found the need for it, but have seen other do so.
    It would also raise you out of the water a bit more as well.

10. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I'd go the SFC with inflatable seat. Better if you are transporting deflated, and extremely comfortable for a long day of sitting on your arse. I loved mine. I am about 220 and never had issues.

11. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    I just watched the video on the Outcast web site about installing the foam blocks for the seat cushion and back. That'd cure me from buying anything but the one with inflatable cushions.

K

12. Brennen Busse

Brennen Busse Member

I've got the inflatable. Love being out of the water. I'm about 240 and no issues with anything caving in. Hands down, go for the inflatable seat. I bought mine used for a killer price.

13. Olive bugger

That killer price sound good. :)

14. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    I would go with the inflatable seat and back rest, they're so comfortable. I've not had the foam seats but have been told they can get hard after a while. I have the fish cat and the SFC both with inflatable seats, and been very happy with both.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  15. Olive bugger

I watched that video also. Think I will go with the inflatable seats.
    Next question, how much trouble is it to adjust the back rest with the straps?

16. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Adjusting the seat back is a piece of cake. Just a tug on the strap end to raise up, or a lift of the buckle to lower down.

17. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    None. Once you get it adjusted it just stays that way. My SFC has the older stripping apron that didn't stay tight. I added a couple of D rings back by the backrest strap buckles and now the rear straps from the stripping apron attach to the backrest straps further back, making the apron tighter. Sounds more complicated than it is so I'd be happy to shoot a picture that'll be worth a thousand words.

K

18. Olive bugger

Thanks fellows. You have been a great help in deciding on the one to get. I think I will go in and see what kind of price and deal I can make. I will also need a pump I guess. I have a tire pump running off the battery but I believe I will need one that has a different connection. I am sure the store can put me in touch with some air. Think I have everything else. Fins-check, waders-check, rod holder-check, pfd-check, pressure gauge for tube, ? (not sure mine will fit connection)
    rubber mesh net-check.

If I also get the South Fork, I will need a pump for that also. So an electrical air pump, and a K pump to top it off? Did I miss anything?

19. Brennen Busse

Brennen Busse Member

$150.00 included fins and a pump was one that I couldn't pass up. It was between the Uboat 2000 and the Fatcat. I returned the Uboat 2000

20. Olive bugger

I too, returned Creek product.