Outcast owners...whats your input?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by pwoens, Jan 28, 2005.

1. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Im looking at the pac900 or the pac9000. Does anyone have this boat? If so, whats your opinion. And to other outcast owners, what's your overall input?

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Hey,how can you be a senior member. Your not old enough. :p :ray1:

Jim

3. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

"I'd rather float down a river than to float up one. Floating up a river is not a good sign." B. Lawless

Well Paddy,

A guide and close friend of mine, actually the father of my granddaughter, used to be in the fly shop business in Port Townsend. He went to a dealer's (no public) fly fishing show in Denver a few years ago.

He looked over every pontoon boat on the market and concluded that the Outcast was by far the best, strongest, most well-designed boat of its kind on the market.

I bought an 8 footer from Cabelas for about $350. I put it down the Boagachiel River in August when the water was too low for a normal drift boat. The rapids I encountered were very steep, boulder strewn, and I should have torn the boat to pieces and been killed. I hit so hard in places that I was afraid I was going to break some teeth. I got to dread the sound of each approaching rapid because I knew it would mean hell on wheels.

The boat was slamed every which way but loose. But loose was something that did not happen. No crack in any of the welds. The steel frame was thick enough to withstand all the punishment the river could dish out.

I don't think you can buy a better toon.
    I don't think you can beat a thick steel frame.
    Rust is no problem in fresh water--just touch up the paint every now and again. I have put a mahogany transom on the boat with a carrier for a battery. It would be perfect for you.. Normally $300; it's yours for $250 taxes, tips, rental fees, licenses, kick backs included.

I've only used it a couple of times -Boagachiel and Grande Rhonde and Hoh.
    Come over if you like, take it for a test drive on an O.P. river of your choice and she's yours if you like it. I welded a bracket underneath that accepts a bicycle removable front wheel (included) and you can wheel the thing around like a wheel barrel.

Bob, the Paddy, it's and offer you can't refuse--I'll even throw in a pair of fins with an extra one as a backup. You get oars, two anchors (small Danforth type and some other stuff I'll give you. It's an offer you can't refuse. E-mail me:thumb:

4. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Jim--
    You are not a senior member because you are senior in a age. You get that distinction by writing a lot of post. Paddy has over 2,000--that makes him senior. And who the hell are you? The senior member cop? :p
    Bob, the That Jim has got a nose as long as his neck :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Pac 900 all the way my brother, think no less. Anything better than the Pac you would be spending 1400.00 or more for a Skookumchuck Steelheader/Osprey or Bad-Cat, which are the Pennicle of single man pontoons.

Patrick, the Pac 9000 would be terrible in a fast moving river due to its low center of gravity. You go into a drop sideways and you are history, according to my buddy who is a Swiftwater rescue instructor for the Tacoma Police S/R. IMO, the 9000 would only be great in Lakes.

Good luck my friend.

6. flatpick

flatpick New Member

I have a PAC 9000. I have only used it twice. Tried to sell it awhile back, not too many folks interested in this model for some reason. Decided to keep it rather than take a huge loss.
    Compared to my Bronco, it is a much lower profile, internal anchor system, aluminum frame, seems to have a cleaner profile as well, fewer things to hang your line up on.

7. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

I have a 900 and I love it. It has a lot of basic items on it already but you can definitely add to it. My buddy has one too and put a trolling motor on it and a good swivel seat is almost a must. the pontoons are really strong I have dragged them accross gravel rocks you name it and it has held up great. it has a 350 lb capacity and I am a big guy so that definitely helps. and you definitely have to have the same amount of pressure in both toons or you will be paddling in circles all day.

8. TWD

TWD Travis

I have a PAC 9000 and have taken it on most rivers in the area with no worries. Would never dream of anchoring in any serious water. Very light getting to and from the water, I carry it on my luggage rack most of the time. I am actually thinking of selling or trading for the PAC raft in an effort to get my father in law on the water more often. Friend of mine has the steelheader big daddy pontoon and it is nice also but practically speaking it is overkill for anything we have ever floated. It is also quite a bit heavier and really requires 2 people to get is streamside or a long drag.

cheers, Travis

9. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

I have the PAC 9000 and really like it. I can't say that I have floated any really serious whitewater, but for the most part can't think of a local river that would present a problem. (Haven't floated any OP rivers.)

As to the low center of gravity, in my mind that makes this better in fast moving water. A lower center of gravity seems to me would mean it's less likely to want to flip over. The PAC 9000 is lower and wider.

I agree with the anchoring comment. Unlike a drift boat, the anchoring system turns the boat sideways to the current. Perhaps so you can fish toward the bank while anchored. But with the boat positioned sideways in the current, even with a 30 lb. pyramid anchor, you are only going to stay put in relatively slow water.

Jim Jones

10. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

hey bro....I'd be interested in hearing the theory behind this thought? Did you buddy elaborate much?? In relative comparison, the pac 9000 is not a whole lot lower compared to my current but sold southfork pontoon. Just curious :confused:

As for those thinking of selling your 9000, I may be interested if you can beat the price I can get one through the shop for??? I'll pm ya guys and we can talk.

Bob...which model do you have? Is it the pac800?? Drop me a pm.

The reason I settled on these two boats is simple. Its the brand our shop carries. As an employee I need to be runnin what we sell ;)

11. Jumbo

Jumbo Member

9000 is a Range Rover
    900 is Land Cruiser

Both do real Class 3 whitewater fine.

9000, heavier pontoons, less draft @ 3inches (180lb load), you get a bit wetter, sturdy as all hell, pontoons and frame are "integrated", can take a puncture, can stand up in lakes (add platform), less maeuverable

900, lighter, maneuverable, frame a bit less sturdy, sometimes a little squirelly, stay drier and higher, no way to stand and fish from boat in lakes, boat is faster

12. yakcanyon

yakcanyon Banned or Parked

shoppees don't talk about pro deals/key employee pricing etc. etc. etc. nor do they flaunt it. you have to remember there are many many more people reading this thread then just your buddies. it is tacky and tends to create a bit of animosity towards shops and manufactures amongst the general public.

btw-do the smart thing and purchase the 900. it is a much better river boat and is not a pain in the ass to put together like the 9000 is.

13. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

yakcanyon,

My bad..didnt realize it was "tacky". Post edited. Thanks for the input on the 900. :thumb:

14. TWD

TWD Travis

now this is getting confusing, I own a LandCruiser but boat a 9000. Not sure your point on the SUV's but I wouldn't trade the cruiser for a range rover :)

The 9000 is bullet proof and only someone doing something really stupid would get in a jam. Not sure about standing on it though? Do you mean on the rear platform?
    The anchor problem might be one of the amount of rode I play out (too little) but my fear is the toons might get nose down and force the raft to get quite squirrley. Probably a law of physics that it wouldn't go down but it would be a wild ride and lets just hope you could get the anchor out (read, bring a knife). In any case it is really for point A to point B and not for fishing from.

My only thought in leaving the 9000 is to move to a drift boat or raft where I could bring another rider or two. I have done the math many times and you can pay alot of guide days for the cost of the boat but it provides alot of freedom.

cheers, Travis

15. Monk

Monk Redneck

I know a guy selling a pac 800 never been used dirt cheap. I bought the other one and it is kick ass. Lemme know.

16. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

The 9000 assembly does take some time to get used to. The strapping system is a little cumbersome at first as you try to attach the pontoons to the drop bars. I found a screwdriver (not the vodka and OJ kind) that has a handle that is the perfect size for the strapping system. I insert the screwdriver handle into the strap and then push it out with the drop bars and voila, pontoon attached.

Probably could do the same thing with a short section of PVC pipe.

Once you get the pontoons inflated you don't have to worry about straps loosening as you float on down the river. Not sure why the 900 is a "better" river boat...but assembling the 9000 isn't a problem.

Jim Jones

17. Steak Daddy

Steak Daddy Steve Daley - West Seattle Denizen

I have a PAC 800 and have been very pleased. I weigh in at about 200 lbs and have never had a stability problem, but likewise have never boated more than Class I or II water in it.

The Outcast frames are very solid. The heavy aluminum tubing is both light and very rigid, there is no twisting or torque to these frames.

I would wholeheartedly recommend any of the Outcast PAC boats.

sd

18. hutch

hutch solomon

Just another opinion Patrick, but I have a 900 and it is more maneuverable in tight water, and much easier to own. Which is to say its easier to carry to/from water alone (sometimes a decent distance), easier to carry around snags in the river (important in rivers like the upper North Fork of the Nook) and easier to transport (I can strap mine completely built to my Yakima Rack on the top of my truck).

It is important to note that neither the 900 or the 9000 are particularily easy to fish from in rivers (anchored or not), but I don't know of a P-boat that is.

I have heard (as others mention) that the 9000 is more of a stillwater boat.

--hutch

19. jbrodie

jbrodie New Member

I have a PAC 800 and it is a quality boat but expensive and I figure if I am floating down a river it is nice to have faith in the boat. I just checked on-line and they still are going for about $1100.00. I'm not sure what the 900 goes for. I weigh only 150# and the 800 is plenty of boat for me. I am able to lift it and place it on the rack on my truck. The weight difference in an 800 and a 900 might be worth considering. I made the mistake of not upgrading the aluminum oars that came with it, something else to consider. Good luck, Jim.

20. Oneweight

Oneweight Member

Patrice,

As you know, I bought a PAC 800 from the very shop that now employs you and have been very happy with it. Skagit, Sky, Yak, ID, Montana, and a bunch of lakes. No problems, easy to store, takes a beating and well worth the extra rubles. Like JBrodie said, if it's my buns on the line, I feel much better knowing that I paid a few extra bucks and am extremely confident in this boat. If Silver Bow sells them, take one down a river or come borrow mine. After I did this, there was no question that I wanted this boat over the Southfork. good luck, man

Jeff