Outcast Prowler or Super Fat Cat LCS?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by castafly, Oct 30, 2013.

1. castafly

castafly New Member

I'm thinking of buying one of these two float tubes. The Prowler seems to be the better made boat, but it is a little heavier and is supposed to be for big guys. I'm willing to spend the money for a Prowler if it is worth it relative to the Super Fat Cat LCS. I plan to use the tube for many years, fishing approximately 25 times per year. I have the first generation Super Fat Cat with the hard foam seat - it's a great boat, but it is just about worn out, so I've decided to get a new float tube and keep my old one for a backup. I know the Super Fat Cat LCS would be great, but I'm wondering if the Prowler is that much better and will last longer. Also, I'm 5'10" 180 lbs - would the Prowler be too big for me? Any recommendations or things to consider when making a decision? I should also mention that I have an Outcast Trinity for packing into high mountain lakes, so I've got that covered - I'm looking for a boat for non-packing situations, which is where I normally fish.

Thanks!

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I have two SFC's, one with the foam and one LCS. Both are great. I'm still trying the wear out the foam seat one.
    I've beat the crap out of it but it just keeps going.
    I may be in the majority
    I think the main advantage of the Prowler is the width and added weight carrying capacity. I don't think it would be to big for you.
    The extra room is nice to have. I used my buddies Prowler and liked it. I'm 6'3" 250 and would likely go with the Prowler the next time around.
    Whichever you go with, they are both excellent boats and Outcast will take good care of you if there is an issue.
    SF

3. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

Sixes in my eyes. They are both Urethane, and quality material. 5 " difference in width is about it. I agree though, bigger is nice. People tend to feel more secure. SFC has been around forever with minor changes.

4. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

The best plus about the Prowler is that there is no foam seat. Hull, pontoon and seat back are all inflatable and therefore more easily packable. One sits further out of the water with the Prowler and it is after all THE SUBURBAN of float tubes. Plus you can put a Scotty anchor mount on the bow and anchor very easily.

Blue likes this.
  5. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Which one did you pick?