Outdoor kit, whadya got?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Sterling silver, Mar 30, 2011.

1. I've seen some fine photograpy on this forum. What kind of equipment are
    you using for your pictures? Slr, point and shoot, what models? I would like to
    be able to make good enlargements up to 16 x 20, and have to make a choice on camera kit. How about some suggestions.

2. Nikon D5000, Nikor 35mm F1/8 lens.

3. Two different Panasonic 'Lumix' Diggies. One's a SLR format, the other the more standard 'compact' size. The larger one gets the most play if fishing is not in the picture (sorry for the bad pun. The smaller is the fishing camera. That said, I'm conflicted about buying a third ... a real water proof camera.

4. Nikon D90. I use a few different lenses; Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 150-500mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon 18-200mm, Tamron 90mm are the main ones. Flashpoint carbon fiber tripod with a Vanguard ball head. I also use a remote shutter release a lot of the time.

5. Canon 7d, Canon 24-105 L, Tokina 11-16, Joby Gorillapod, pelican 1400. The case was a great addition to the kit.

Next, likely, is a 35 1.4 L.

6. Chris, how do you like the Canon 7d?

7. Bill,

In hand it's function is brilliant. The learning curve on the camera is low and the function high. It's built well.

The result depends on the shot. In most cases it's exceptional so take that as an overall positive review before I go negative. In some low light cases I've had some soft focus issues with it. Not all the time. Others have reported the same thing and that it was resolvable with a hard reset, using the micro adjust, using single focus points or via Canon support. In normal light that issue rarely surfaces. The hard reset had no effect. Haven't spent time yet with the micro adjust. May just throw it Canon's way so they can have a shot at it. I'm sure they're used to getting 7d's back for the issue by now so hopefully the success rate is improved.

Chris

8. Best tool for making 16x20s?

A good tripod.

9. Nikon D90 + Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 50mm and Nikon 70-300mm VR.

10. Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-105, Nikkor 55-200, Nikkor 35 f1.8, Sagebrush Drygoods fanny pack.

11. canon 40d. 17-40 F4L. 70-200 F2.8 L. 50 F1.4 USM. 10mm F2.8 fisheye. 580EX. St-E2. B+W circ. polarizer that fits the L glass. All in a pelican case or Lowepro minitrekker.

12. I use several different systems depends on fishing situations:

P&S for documentary: Sony Cybershot 14.1

Micro photo: I like to use film camra: Canon 1V, Leica 100 APO Macro

Landscape photo: I use Nikon D5000, Zeiss Distagon 28mm/2.8; Nikon 10.5mm/2.8; Canon 70-200/4

13. Do any of you guys use a lensbaby lens? Or is that a much more difficult to use on the water?

14. canon rebel t2 with basalt tripod.
    water proof panasonic for fishing.with wadeing staff with adapter or treking poles with tripod adapter.

15. Canon 840IS P&S
    Canon XSi w/ Canon 55-250 IS, 50 f/1.8 (still deciding on the next lens addition)