Outfished on the Oregon Coast.

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Paul Norton, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

Every year we spend a weekend on the Oregon Coast with my wife's family.

This year, we had some flexibility, and so went a couple of days early to do some fishing. We stopped on the North Fork of the Nehalem river on Thursday.

For various reasons, the day started late, I don't think we got on the water until after 10am. The weather was cool, not cold, and it rained a little now and then, but I didn't really mind. It was really good just to get out.

(Yeah, it'd be a better shot without my mug in it, oh well.)

View attachment 35047

The area was of course beautiful... although you could tell it was pretty heavily traveled/fished. Just a lot of chunks of old line lying about and some rather large hooks on the bottom of the river, and some dead crawdad looking things on the bottom of the river. Well, clean up what you can and start fishing.

The river was really active, with a surprising number and variety of bugs and some very small (3-5 inch) trout feeding, and hitting any cast you make as long as it's close. So, that was fun for a little while, but there comes a point where you've got to leave the little trout to try to find their bigger brothers.

Yeah, so I go heading off looking for the bigger trout right? And I leave my wife in the spot where we had harassed the little guys... right? 5 minutes later I look over and see she's bringing in a fish...

View attachment 35036

And me? Well, I had caught a couple more of the little guys while trying to see what's around the bend downriver...

View attachment 35035

Ok, honestly, it was an awesome day, fish or no. Really, you shouldn't be reading my report, you should be out fishing. :D

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I lived in Pacific City for awhile, the Oregon coast rocks.

3. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    I want to go steelheadin on the oregon coast. i think a backpack up the rouge river sounds about right.

4. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Media:
    Wait a minute, from the picture it seems that your wife caught a brown trout and you say you guys were on the North fork of the Nehalem. I didnt know brown's were in that system. What a catch! Really cool, thanks for sharing!

5. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Thad I am sure that is a Cutthroat, if you look close you can see a small red slash.

6. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

Yes, while I'm no expert at fish identification, I think it was a coastal cutthroat.
    Although I base this largely on google image searches, it's got the small red slash and looked more like the images I found of coastal cutthroat than anything else I saw.

7. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Love fishing the Oregon coast. Glad you at least had a good time.

8. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Media:
    Ahh that makes much more sense! On my computer I'm not able to see the slash, or the fish really for that matter.