pacific slam

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by greenbuttskunk, Apr 29, 2006.

1. greenbuttskunk

greenbuttskunk Member

I am going to try to post pics for the first time.
    Here is the pacific slam, you are thinking all five species of pacific salmon, but this isn't that cool, but it is good eats.
    The oysters were on ice and not in the same cooler.
    Every once in a while you just have to take advantage of the "other" species available in this great state.
    They all hit on a black wooley bugger.
    I hope I did the photo attach thing right.

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Some good eats!

Got to love these big spring tides - With the timing differences between the lows on the ocean and Hood Canal it is/was possible to collect/harvest a diverse range of shellfish. Back when the seasons were less restrictive I remember harvesting razor clams on the ocean and zipping over to HC and collecting crabs on the last of the ebb, digging geoduck and horse clams at the low, hard shell clams on the start of the flood and finishing with oysters all on one tide.

Of course now that I think about such gluttony is part of the reason we now have more restrictive seasons.

Tight lines
    Curt

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Mmmmmm... Heavy metals and VOCs...

4. greenbuttskunk

greenbuttskunk Member

Philster
    Go home and throw some of that Safeway chicken on the grill. You know, the stuff raised in confinement on antibiotics from birth to death and then butchered and water cooled in fecal stew. Enjoy it with a tall glass of your flouridated, and chlorinated tap water. And make sure your kids are vaccinated, you know, the vaccines with Thimersol preservatives (Mercury dude) injected right into the bloodstream. mmmm that is good stuff.

Pick your poison baby.

I have an idea, let's keep the comments positive.

5. olyangler

olyangler Pura vida!

Curt -- those palmy, multi-species shellfish days are about gone, but it is fantastic to get a variety of fish/shellfish in one day.
    When I lived in Bend, I'd toss a crawfish trap into a local lake and then fish the callibaetis hatch. I'd usually end up with a bunch of mudbugs and a couple tasty kokanee. Yup, the kokes ate mayflies at this lake -- I let the rainbows and brookies go. Some of the people on this board may recognize this lake.
    I trapped a couple crabs and caught a nice coho in Hood Canal a couple years ago. It made for a tasty feast -- we invited friends over, and it was a lot of fun.
    I cover razor clam seasons on the coast, and I'm always amazed at how many people show up -- and how much fun they all have. Anything that gets kids away from the doggone X-Box and outdoors is great.
    And, for those who cringe at eating outdoor food, I'm a catch-and-release angler for wild trout in rivers, lakes and Puget Sound. Hatchery fish get the bonk -- that's what they are there for -- and shellfish are very well managed in this state.
    And I strongly suspect that food from the outdoors is healthier than the processed stuff in Top Foods.
    Pura Vida!

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Some is and some ain't. Filter feeders, ones that actually live in the sand/mud where things settle out? There's a reason one needs environmental oversight when dredging boys. Sorry to be negative but I spent a number of years trying to help educate non english speaking immigrants to the dangers of San Francisco bay fish. Some pretty scary lead and mercury test results for their infants based on what mama was eating. They probably still strongly suspect that it's safe too based on :confused: . They're wrong also. Ask the killer whales in the sound.

Not saying don't harvest, just don't harvest everything. Look at the test results and make educated decisions. Limit your servings, as Keith Richards sang "You gotta choose your medicine". Some folks have never thought of these issues, and if one person thinks twice, it's worth being a little "negative".

7. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Philster -
    I understand what you are saying. If one uses common sense as you suggest I think Olyangler is corrected that wild caught sea-food can be a pretty healthy food. And yes I understand everything has been poluted to some degree but heck I have to eat something. Generally I would think filter feeders are less poluted than fish further up the food chain - it is little wonder the orca have a pretty heavy dose of toxic material - they are the top of the food chain.

For my shellfish I am pretty selective where I harvest and any question about the quality of the sediments puts the shellfish off limits for me.

Why it comes to fin fish I surprised how unthinking some folks are when it comes to the what fish they chose to consume. The latest example is the ling cod of Elliot bay. Here folks are catching and eating the top predator in the area. Most of the folks are using sole for bait and nearly all of the anglers would never dream of eating those tumor laden flatfish but go on eating the critter the next step up the food chain, and since they are using sole as bait the anglers must be aware that the ling's diet inlcudes a significant portion of those poluted fish - don't get it.

I enjoy lings on the table but I select the areas from which I harvest the fish - away from the heavily poluted areas. I also release the larger legal fish (there is a 26 to 40 inch slot limit) and try to keep those between 28 and 32 inches. When it comes to salmon I avoid those immature blackmouth in the Sound that are feeding on bait fish most of their lives and focus on harvest on those resident coho in the summer - shortly after they have converted to a diet of baitfish and returning ocean fish.

Just another example of selective harvest - I'm pretty sure that with reasonable care the shellfish/fish that I harvest are better for me than most store bought meats/fish.

tight lines
    Curt

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    You the man Curt! Just asking folks to be as thoughtful as you are on the subject. I remember taking relatives to pike place market and seeing about an acre of "Lake Washington Crayfish" for sale. EEEEEEEWWWW! And I am a crayfish fool! Boiled Crayfish, Crayfish etoufee, Crayfish remoulade, Crayfish beignets, Crayfish Chowder, Crayfish... Them's polluted! Run Forrest, Run!

9. soreshoulder

soreshoulder New Member

awesome... yummy

10. olyangler

olyangler Pura vida!

Wise words from Curt here.
    We all have to use common sense when we decide to kill and eat a fish or shellfish.
    As for me, I don't eat lingcod or halibut from the Puget Sound -- if only for my own peace of mind. I live in Olympia, and I think many of those fish just take in too many chemicals. And that's a shame.
    I catch and release most salmon caught in the Puget Sound, but I do take a couple of hatchery coho every year. Needless to say, I release all wild salmon and cutthroat trout.
    I do go out and catch one halibut a year out of Westport -- that is a non-flyfishing trip! -- and I prefer the smaller fish. I'll also eat lings caught way offshore.
    I think shellfish from coastal beaches get a pretty good look from the state Health and Fish and Wildlife departments, and I'm always happy to dig and eat razor clams.
    As for crawfish, I like to find trout lakes that have lots of mudbugs. A favorite spot is Lake Billy Chinook in central Oregon. I've enjoyed barbecued hatchery steelhead from the Deschutes and some boiled crawfish a few times, and it's a great combo!
    Pura Vida!

11. Tom Arroll

Tom Arroll Member

Media: