Pacific Steelhead Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by DSFlyman, Jan 24, 2009.

1. DSFlyman Member

Santa Monica, CA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm sure this will start a battle, but...

I'm curious as to what people think is the easiest steelhead fly to tie that is also effective?
  2. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Green - Butt Skunk . An old pattern that is still very effective .
  3. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Simply wrap marabou onto a hook.
  4. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    [IMG]

closely followed by the glo bug and san jaun steelhead worm
  5. steve s Member

Issaquah, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I've got to agree with TFG, doesn't get much easier than a simple marabou. It's also extremely effective.
  6. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +680 / 5
    I agree with TFG, but you don't even have to palmer it. Just tie a couple plumes of it on a hook as is and go. My first alaskabous I tied weren't palmered. Just put directly on the hook like a marabou wing (just no body is all). They worked great actually. Couple hunks of marabou and a few wraps of thread. Pretty easy.
  7. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +457 / 0
    While the marabou spider is likely the simplest of steelhead patterns there are some others that are easy to tie and provide a little different silhouette. Here's one that I've always liked and I've been using it so long that I can't even remember if it's something that I developed or if I saw it somewhere. It's called the Pseudospey.

Attached Files:

8. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +680 / 5
    Preston, I think in one way or another, everyone has tied their own original pattern, or created a new one that actually has been done before. We just never know. I do like yours, and I've tied something similar to this (but not quite the same). I like it!
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,465 / 9
    Rabbit strip tied on at the hook eye. Pretty simple, lots of movement, put one of AKPM's beads on first and then you have an egg sucker. I fished a few times with a crafty veternan and he used many varieties of this simple fly and damn he caught fish.
  10. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    Preston,

Alec Jackson developed the Pseudo Spey back in the late 70's and had it published in FLY TYER magazine around 1982. He developed it mainly because he had a very difficult time getting wings on spey flies to sit properly. He was friend of Syd Glasso and used Glasso's flies as his benchmark. He was also friends with Bob Aid and he late Joe Butorec (the two folks who are most generally credited with having created the marabou spider fly for winter steehead. Plus, he grew up in the so-called North Country area of the UK where the spider flies were developed by Stewart et al in the 1800
    s; therefore, it was a natural for him to leave off the wings and body hackle, which makes a fly much, much easier to tie, and to tie a spider style fly with long spey hackle at the front of the fly instead of marabou.
  11. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    how 'bout a spade:thumb:
  12. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    What a great thread!
  13. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Basic bunny leech. Super super simple. Alaskabous are a close second.