Packing food for backpacking trips

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by NJackson, Sep 11, 2008.

1. NJackson New Member

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    This seemed to be the most appropriate forum to put this thread in.

Me, my girlfriend, a couple friends and I are planning a trip to Lake Barclay/Eagle Lake to camp and fish and I am trying to figure out how to pack food that isn't dehydrated, freeze dried, canned or otherwise pre packaged? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  2. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm not familiar with the area, but I am familiar with backpacking. My question for you is why would you not want to take dehydrated meals? It's lightweight, nourishing, and Mountain House brand actually tastes pretty damn good. Depending on how far and how many day's you'll be in the backcountry, normal foods will get pretty heavy. Unless it's just an overnighter, I suggest using the dehydrated stuff.
    -Ethan
  3. Ray Member

Post Falls, ID
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Vacuum seal it.
  4. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Whatever you bring, keep it safe from mice, raccoons, and bears...

I tend to stick with beef\turkey jerky and other light weight, but full of protein or carbs type foods. It's only a day or 2 or 3...

When cooking, I like to keep it simple (less dishes to deal with) and bring a box of mac and cheese or rice-a-roni. Boiling water is as fancy as I get when back packing (car camping where you can pack more\better stuff is different).
  5. NJackson New Member

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks a lot guys.

We had considered the dehydrated but thought the cost was higher, and never even thought of jerky haha.
    I'm checking out the mountain house foods right now and they seem to have some pretty good offerings, and about 5 bucks a pop too isn't all that bad. Any other brands i should check out?
  6. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Yeah, I did the expensive RIE stuff and wasn't that impressed. Sure, it was nice to have some meat and veggies, but the cost of a box of mac and cheese, rice a roni, top ramon, etc just seems to make it more practicle. And you'd be suprised that you don't really need all that milk and butter some boxes say you'll need. Like with Mac and Cheese, I just boil till the noodles are tender, train most, not all, of the water, add the cheese packet and stir. It tastes pretty good - especially when in the back country and you have worked up an appetite. Not a well rounded meal, but it's only a few days....

Breakfasts are always instant oatmeal packets and hot cocoa. Or coffee made from those tea bag type things (works pretty well). I make a cup of cocoa and add a coffee tea bag :)
  7. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,173 / 0
    One trick I do to lower the expense on short trips is bring extra rice, noodles or instant mashed potatoes to complement each dehyrated meal. I made the mistake once of trying to go cheap on a long trip by skipping dehydrated meals and packing soup mix, noodles and rice for dinner. I packed protein powder for each day and added it to my oatmeal in the morning thinking that along with jerky, power bars and trail mix for lunch, I'd be all set. By day 10, I could fit 2 fists in the waist band of my shorts and could not keep my body temp above 95.5 on a sunny afternoon! I couldn't figure out what was going on 'til I added up my daily calorie intake: about 700. Luckily, I had 4 days of extra emergency rations so I doubled my intake and came out a day early. First stop, an all-you-could buffet!

Head down to Mountain Air Gear near Lowe's and check out their selection of dyhydrated food. (1111 Walla Walla Ave.)
  8. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    What's wrong with a backpacker diet? Stuffing your face with a big greasy cheeseburger is a well earned reward and ritual after a trip.

Try more nuts next time.
  9. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Locate an army surplus store and purchase MRE's...there is enough food for two people...and to boot the meals are packed with carbs due to the fact that a soldier may not have a meal but maybe once a day out on patrol. I've seen them as low as 5, and as high as 10 bucks.