Paraloop style

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Anyone tried the paraloop style hackle yet?

Daryle

2. steve s

steve s Member

Media:
    I think that the paraloop style is also known as a hackle stacker. I first saw it in an article by Bob Quigley a few years ago. I've tied the flies before and they've worked well for picky trout on tailwaters, spring creeks and stillwaters but they take longer to tie than I usually spend on a fly. One nice thing about the style of fly is that not many other people use flies tied like that so when you encounter a finicky trout that refuses more popular patterns, the hackle stacker can get a rise.

Steve S

3. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
  4. FT

FT Active Member

There is also the old Edmund Burke method, which was developed back in the 1930's of tying parachute hackles that uses the hackle stem as the post. By far, the easiest and most convenient way to tie a parachute hackle I've ever run across.

To tie a parachute hackle using the hackle stem as the post is simplicity itself. Simply do this: 1) After stripping off the fluff and web at the butt of the hackle don't cut or break the stem off, instead, keep it full length; 2) Tie in the hackle very near where the hackle barbs start with the hackle parallel to the hook shank (i.e. on the same plane as the top of the shank): 3) Stand the hackle stem up with a few wraps of thread: and 4) Wrap the hackle around its stem going first up 2-3 turns and then back down 2-4 turnsn depending on how full you want the hackle.

The hackle is then tied off, a drop of flexible cement such as Dave's Flexament is put on the hackle stem right where the top turn of hackle is located, and the hackle stem is cut off slightly above the top turn of hackle.

This method can be used to tie a wing on a parachute fly out of any material, including duck flank, duck quill, or goose quill without the wing becoming deformed. It also can be used to tie a terrific mayfly spinner, which can be either low-riding (put the hackle on top of the fly), or higher riding (put the hackle of the bottom of the fly).

It is a simple, no-nonsense way to tie parachute hackle, and it avoids the need to tie in a seperate post of mono, hair, yarns, what-have-you. Try it, you might like it. (And we thought the old boys didn't know about our "modern inventions" like parachute flies.)